Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much Hello
Much Hello
Hello from Manchester, UK. My name is Andrew, I am 24 and I would love some sensible friends for once Smile

I was once ''one of them'', I sat in church, listened with a strange emptiness, like I just flawlessly accepted it. It was somewhat nice I guess, the thought that this giant ghost loved me. So I thought I would read the Bible. This was the greatest and most eye-opening thing I ever did do. Throughout the entire read I was disgusted, frightened, upset, tormented. It was so powerfully obvious to me that not one iota of it made sense or gave any hint of a well-thought out morality that I became an atheist. I then got to some real, well thought out books. The books of Christopher Hitchens, of Richard Dawkins and A. C. Grayling. This is how I want to live my life. As an free, open and normal human being. But still, I am just horrified by the people that are actually convinced that this giant ghosty man type thing actually exists. The worst conversation I EVER had in my life was with a creationist. I asked if 'If it was proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that God did NOT exist at all, what would your reaction be?' His reaction was this: 'If it was proven that God did not exist, I would still believe because I wish to live my life serving him.'

That's an introduction and a bit of a rant. BTW: I love documentaries, factual books and am a trainee actor Smile

Peace and Love Smile Big Grin

For me, The biggest Biblical contradiction is this:

''Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me''
Exodus 20:4-5

I am a jealous god? Isn't that one of the seven deadly sins? Oh dear me. And even worse... He's not going to punish the person who dislikes him... but his Children, and his children's children? Without trail? Oh, so much mercy God... How merciful you really are.
RE: Much Hello
Welcome!
Re: Much Hello
Welcome!
Hello!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Interesting that a creationist said that. Pretty sad as well. I'm new here also, welcome!
“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
(April 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm)Beardio1 Wrote: Hello from Manchester, UK. My name is Andrew, I am 24 and I would love some sensible friends for once Smile

Your search isn't over. Big Grin

Welcome to the forums.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 25, 2013 at 4:08 pm)TosinAsLeader Wrote: Interesting that a creationist said that. Pretty sad as well. I'm new here also, welcome!

It is interesting. It makes me thing that some people must be unable to think for themselves. I think it has something to do with indoctrination. The feeling that without the notion of a god or gods, life has no direction. But surely, if it was proven that God does not exist, it would show that without him, life already has direction. :/. it also scares me to think what else religion can make people believe.

For me, The biggest Biblical contradiction is this:

''Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me''
Exodus 20:4-5

I am a jealous god? Isn't that one of the seven deadly sins? Oh dear me. And even worse... He's not going to punish the person who dislikes him... but his Children, and his children's children? Without trail? Oh, so much mercy God... How merciful you really are.
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm)Beardio1 Wrote: Hello from Manchester, UK.

Red devils or blue moon?

Or maybe you like rugby...

Welcome
Welcome Enjoy the forums.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. Whateverist 1167 121226 March 25, 2024 at 8:26 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Two warnings, already - i'm not going to be here much longer Prof.Lunaphiles 43 9134 April 25, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  As much as I'd like to, I shouldn't forego a formal introduction Gol Dernitt 22 2579 August 9, 2019 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  I drank too much wine... and now I shall grace you all with my unstable presence. Anatheist 42 8098 May 20, 2015 at 9:41 am
Last Post: Regina
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5941 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3621 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates