Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity as Linguistic Convention
Christianity as Linguistic Convention
Recently I spent time with a relative who is a self-proclaimed super Christian. One thing I noticed was her constant use of the word "pray."
I seems like this word had taken the place of the verbs "to hope", "to want", "to wish", "to dream". She no longer used these words - substituting 'pray' instead. For example: I pray that my IRS refund check arrives before my bills are due. I pray that Jimmy can find a good job. It seems like she thinks this is a sign of righteousness, having the holy spirit. As if paring down you vocabulary, erasing your subjective agency and destroying the nuance will get brownie points for heaven.

Second, when talking more with her, it seems like everything positive or convenient that happens is a "miracle". For example: My application went through in 2 days instead of 3. It's a MIRACLE!. My client didn't cancel their appointment. Miracle! I made it through the yellow traffic light before it turned read. Miracle! God is great! It seems like the word miracle is now a cheap throwaway for any regular thing that happens. A decent bowel movement is now the equivalent of parting the Red Sea or restoring sight to the blind. Now it seems like this is a cheap hackneyed word that means almost nothing.

The opposite corollary to this is that when something bad or inconvenient happens, responsibility is fully internalized and relevance is blown way out of proportion. Example: The application was late. Now we will have to pick it up on Tuesday instead of Monday. : "How could I make such a terrible mistake?" (tears) To me, this is the kind of mental process that results in or contributes to depression, which seems to be something of a problem with many of the hyper-religious Christians I know.

Last is "blessing". Christians are not responsible, lucky or fortunate, they are blessed.

Car starts: Blessing.
Kids don't fail school: Blessed.
Waiter doesn't forget to bring the mayonnaise. B-lessing.

Again, it's cheap and ridiculous.
Don't have to use critical faculties. Blessed.
Don't have to expose yourself to anything mildly uncomfortable. Blessing.
Still living on stolen Indian land, making hay off the exploitation of minorities, immigrants and the indigent, living in an institutionalized white supremacist wonderland, paying taxes to a government that openly tortures, spies, invades and stokes horror around the world and you don't have to see or admit or take responsibility for what's happening on in front of your face. Boy you are blessed.

It also seems that twisting your vocabulary in this way is a sign of membership in the "group" and an indication of how committed you are to the program. The more you do it, the more you are showing off for the invisible CCTV camera and making brownie points with the cop who gives out E-tickets to heaven that follows you around in your head.

Cheers
RE: Christianity as Linguistic Convention
Hi and welcome to AF! ^_^

Well, what can I say. You do know that simple minded people get exited over everything and nothing Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome

Liked the bit about the parting of the red sea..... ROFLOL
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Wester

Its kind of a 1984 "new speak" thing.
With every word they utter they re-affirm their vapid beliefs by shoehorning god in.
In fact they try and shoehorn god into any given situation.

I was at a particularly sad funeral for a 24 year old work colleague who had died and the vicar went on and on about how sad god must have felt when he sent his son to earth and he died.

Fucker.

There was this two year old boy who had just lost his dad and all this "man of god" was on about was his favourite fictional character.

Deep breath

And relax.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

@Wester Your words interested me.
In my place (France) I can hear people say (Je prie) who is the translation of "I pray". A day I heared a man to say (Je prie pour que...) or in English "I pray for...". But in a correct grammar we can say :

1.FR : Je souhaite que... EN : I wish that...
2.FR : Je veux... EN : I will...
3.FR : J'aimerais... EN : I would like...
4.FR : Je désire que... EN : I desire that...
5.FR : Je voudrais EN : I will (more near than I wish like "Je voudrais" is more polite than "Je veux").

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6818 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8511 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18329 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)