Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julia Sweeney - Letting Go Of God (VIDEO)
Video 
Julia Sweeney - Letting Go Of God (VIDEO)
After reading the book and listening to the audio CD I finally found the video for this awesome piece!

Great stuff!!

Letting Go of God is a humorous monologue by Julia Sweeney chronicling her search for God. She begins in the Catholic church, the religion her family raised her in, and takes a Bible study class. What she learns there leads her to new questions, and in search for answers she explores meditation, Buddhism and New Age gurus, then describes what she learned from the sciences and from sharpening her critical thinking skills. She discovers that to accept the truth leads to surprising revelations. She concludes by sharing how this effects her family.

RE: Julia Sweeney - Letting Go Of God (VIDEO)
I was lucky enough to see her perform this when she was still working it out (she was performing it from notes) at The Center for Inquiry West.

I thought it was great.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fear of letting go? SlowCalculations 18 2008 June 3, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  New Darkmatter video: If god answered prayers robvalue 0 888 January 25, 2016 at 9:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Letting Go of God" everythingafter 3 2094 April 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Letting Go of God Tabby 11 5762 May 30, 2009 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Tabby