Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A flaw in prayer experiments (by H. Avalos)
A flaw in prayer experiments (by H. Avalos)
Some people are convinced that the phrase "prayer works" is wrong, i.e. they are convinced that prayer does not have significant effect on anything.
In order to support this fact, they provide different scientific studies (e.g. (Krucoff M.W. et al., 2005), (Aviles, J.M. et al., 2001), (Glicken, M.D., 2009), etc.).
Refuting these peer-reviewed and strictly controlled experiments is extremely difficult, thus it seems that the 'prayer-does-not-work' party wins the discussion.

Yet, Hector Avales published his doubts in an article on the Council for Secular Humanism about the design of these experiments:
"The problem with this and any so-called controlled experiment regarding prayer is that there can be no such thing as a controlled experiment concerning prayer. You can never divide people into groups that received prayer and those that did not. The main reason is that there is no way to know that someone did not receive prayer. How would anyone know that some distant relative was not praying for a member of the group that [Randoplh C.] Byrd had identified as having received no prayer? How does one control for prayers said on behalf of all the sick people in the world? How does one assess the degree of faith in patients that are too sick to be interviewed or in the persons performing the prayers? Even Byrd acknowledges these problems and admits that "'pure' groups were not attained in this study." [Byrd, R.C. (1998)] (...) Since control groups are not possible, such purported scientific experiments are not possible."
(Avalos, H., "Can Science Prove that Prayer Works?", http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php...valos_17_3)

Does this mean that the discussions about the effects of prayer are now null and void? Or are there, in your opinion, other arguments that can confirm or refute the claim that "prayer works"?

PS: The text between square brackets is added by me.
RE: A flaw in prayer experiments (by H. Avalos)
More important....Why Won't "God" Heal Amputees?

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/superstition.htm
(May 7, 2013 at 3:35 pm)Luminox Wrote: Or are there, in your opinion, other arguments that can confirm or refute the claim that "prayer works"?

I would think the fact (via prayer or any other means) no one has ever regrown a limb or "fixed" a Down Syndrome child to be sufficient.

And when and if these ailments are ever addressed you can be sure it won't be prayer doing the fixing; it will be via science.
It sounds to me that no matter what science says on prayer, prayer's proponents will obfuscate the subject to the point of rendering it unfalsifiable.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(May 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm)Faith No More Wrote: It sounds to me that no matter what science says on prayer, prayer's proponents will obfuscate the subject to the point of rendering it unfalsifiable.

They do that with everything in their religion, eventually.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(May 7, 2013 at 3:35 pm)Luminox Wrote: Some people are convinced that the phrase "prayer works" is wrong, i.e. they are convinced that prayer does not have significant effect on anything.

Gee, wonder what might have convinced them of that...

I was raised Christian and the idea that 'prayer works, except when it doesn't' is pretty deeply ingrained in the believers that I know. By which I mean, when they pray for something and they get what they wanted (or something even remotely close) they give prayer the credit. When they pray for something and they do not get it, they rationalize it away. "It wasn't part of god's plan for me." "Things happen for a reason." Shit like that. To someone looking at it from the outside, it's an obvious ruse. To the believer, it's perfectly plausible.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 7, 2013 at 3:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: More important....Why Won't "God" Heal Amputees?

Because he hates them?
(May 7, 2013 at 3:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: More important....Why Won't "God" Heal Amputees?

Thank you for the link.
It elucidates my point on the effect of prayer.

Yet, this particular phrase caught my attention:
"It is time to state clearly that God is imaginary. Religion is pure superstition, nothing more -- It has been proven time and time again with dozens of scientific experiments. It is time for us to begin eliminating the superstition and fraud from public discourse, for the simple reason that superstition and fraud are detrimental to society"
I have some issues with this phrase, but these fall beyond the scope of this thread.
It is pretty obvious to me that "prayer" works, it's important that we have the right understanding of what "prayer" actually is etc. Because this discussion is theological in nature, there is no neutrality when discussing the details, it can only come from a partisan point of view.
Prayer is just a useful tool to make the user feel like they're doing something when really they're doing nothing at all.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NBC article prayer fails in study. Brian37 7 3169 May 15, 2013 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37