Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBC article prayer fails in study.
NBC article prayer fails in study.
As if this is a shock to sane people.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12082681/ns/he...ZN_c0rkfW0
RE: NBC article prayer fails in study.
Mildly interesting, but it's too easy to see how this plays out. Theists will say that this test is not valid for any number of reasons-- you can't put god to the test like this, you can't test the supernatural scientifically, and so on. But if any research showed even a non-significant statistical correlation between prayer and recovery, they'd be all over it as "proof that prayer works!!!"
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 15, 2013 at 8:56 am)Tonus Wrote: Mildly interesting, but it's too easy to see how this plays out. Theists will say that this test is not valid for any number of reasons-- you can't put god to the test like this, you can't test the supernatural scientifically, and so on.

How about someone even more righteous was praying that the prayers in the study would not be answered?

It's like I said in the other thread, they will come up with excuse after excuse until the whole thing becomes unfalsifiable.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
This just in, prayer fails in study - just like last time........and the time before that....and, well, since "prayer".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
They could pray to a rock, or Mickey Mouse or pocket lint and it still amounts to pretending.
(May 15, 2013 at 8:56 am)Tonus Wrote: Mildly interesting, but it's too easy to see how this plays out. Theists will say that this test is not valid for any number of reasons-- you can't put god to the test like this, you can't test the supernatural scientifically, and so on. But if any research showed even a non-significant statistical correlation between prayer and recovery, they'd be all over it as "proof that prayer works!!!"

Correct. Part of being a shithead theist is ignoring anything that tells you that you are in fact a shithead.
And in other news...
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(May 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: And in other news...

Yea I agree, but there are lots of people who still think it is credible and I would rather put up the good fight and be vigil about it, than give up. Human progress is never made by accepting social norms, otherwise our species never would have left the caves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Near Death Experience Study Opinions? orthodox-man 62 9826 May 1, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The AWARE study. Jehanne 3 1041 February 8, 2016 at 3:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Good Article on Crucifixion Minimalist 17 2122 December 12, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New study on mass extinction of species abaris 19 5282 June 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Peer reviewed study published in Science Journal turns out to be fraud. YGninja 82 11403 May 28, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Kennewick Man Study On The Way Minimalist 4 1482 September 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Tongue Study:Drunk Fish Totally Impress Sober Fish. MountainsWinAgain 2 1051 May 23, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds Gooders1002 6 2197 March 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tor
  NASA Study Concludes When Civilization Will End, And It's Not Looking Good for Us Gooders1002 9 3762 March 22, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Pollen Study Indicates the Collapse of the LBA Minimalist 7 3197 October 25, 2013 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Owlix