Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nature of goodness (wrote this in a thread on christianforums)
Nature of goodness (wrote this in a thread on christianforums)
I think it's a very complex property of humanity. I also think that metaphysics is a requirement of it.

Here is the thing. When comes to goodness, I do think the action is important, but it's more of the spirit behind the action, that is the most important.

And the spirit behind the action is the individual. Now the individual, what is that?

I think naturalism can account of how a delusional concept of self was created through evolution.

It's very simple why. Those who had a concept of self and identity, would survive.

I would further argue, that scientific evidence, points to it being a delusion. People with multiple personalities for example, their brain creates more then one identity. But we believe they are still one person, and not multiple people.

Perpetual identity is another important factor and the inheritance of actions.

Actions are a state of being. When we do an evil action, it's not just an action, but that state of the spirit we have at that time.

These "instances of us", I believe form a living existence, and our actions are alive.

But with naturalism, actions can't be alive. They are alive in the sense they are created by the psyche and remembered to a degree, but they aren't a living inheritance.

We rather evolved inately thinking actions form a part of us, and regret our evil actions and feel pride over are praiseworthy actions, because it helps function better. And those without those beliefs were less likely to pass on genes.

So to me, goodness is either a delusional property we assign to a delusional concept of an individual created by biological forces with no substance to back it up or it's a metaphysical property of souls (including God).

There is more to it. I don't think objective morals has to do with universal morals. I think it's relatively objective. What I mean by that, is that given person's experience he may form a noble intention behind an action while that same action with another person's experience can only be done with a ignoble intention.

I think creatures with concept of self, they're mind is either creating a delusion or the mind is interwined with a spirit and they do have knowledge of a spirit.

Given that it's the spirit behind the action, animals too can have noble intentions, even if there morality is not as sophisticated as ours.

I also believe reason is like a tree. In it's rooted essence, it's one thing, simple, one, but it branches out. I believe morality is a branch of reason, and the details all branch out from it.

Bin Laden has a concept of himself. But most people believe he is deluded in the concept of himself. This is the problem if we identify ourselves simply to be the identity we have. Then it definitely is a delusion for a great amount of humans.

Furthermore, does anyone claim to know their exact worth, their exact value, their exact degree of beauty or ugliness (talking about the identity, not body)?

I don't think anyone does. And if they do, surely they are deluded.

This tells me, we are unkown with a guesstimate, and our concept of self, is just an estimate we have that can be far from reality or close or entirely a delusion with no possible reality behind it.

If there is any truth to our guess, there must be a soul.
RE: Nature of goodness (wrote this in a thread on christianforums)
A whole bunch of essentially bare assertions, concluding with a complete non sequitur.

If you make a show of acting out some process to arrives at your pre-determined conclusion, and have no qualms about using bare assertions to mimic a process, at least employ such bare assertions that supports the pre-determined conclusion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] What is goodness? Porcupine 24 1343 July 19, 2020 at 4:44 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 5732 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The Nature Of Truth WisdomOfTheTrees 5 1054 February 21, 2017 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Sal
  The Dogma of Human Nature WisdomOfTheTrees 15 2559 February 8, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15350 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Poem I wrote Heat 24 5754 November 13, 2015 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Magilla
  THE SELF-REINFORCING NATURE OF SOCIAL HIERARCHY: ORIGINS AND CONSEQUENCES OF POWER .. nihilistcat 9 3844 June 29, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Detecting design or intent in nature watchamadoodle 1100 179286 February 21, 2015 at 3:23 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Religion had good intentions, but nature has better LivingNumbers6.626 39 9058 December 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: John V
  On the nature of evidence. trmof 125 27031 October 26, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut