Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective Standard for Goodness!
Objective Standard for Goodness!
How do you objectively decide what is good? That pan seared T-Bone with sauteed mushrooms? The old vine Zinfandel? The Fudge your granny made when you were a child? Sushi? Pizza? Hummus with pita and oil cured olives? Good coffee and pistachio ice cream? By which objective standard do you compare your favorite taste treats?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Objective Standard for Goodness!
It's actually fairly easy.

[Image: 10247230_517754371679836_8636336788193485664_n.png]
(June 8, 2018 at 11:39 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's actually fairly easy.

[Image: 10247230_517754371679836_8636336788193485664_n.png]
I like the taste of cunt!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(June 8, 2018 at 10:35 pm)chimp3 Wrote: How do you objectively decide what is good? That pan seared T-Bone with sauteed mushrooms? The old vine Zinfandel? The Fudge your granny made when you were a child? Sushi? Pizza? Hummus with pita and oil cured olives? Good coffee and pistachio ice cream? By which objective standard do you compare your favorite taste treats?

I would take issue with the word "decide." If it's an objective thing you would actually be discerning or figuring out what is good. You don't decide that earth revolves around the sun. It is an objective truth. You use observation and reason to figure it out. In much the same way, you must use logic and reason to discern objective goods. The figure most associated with the idea of objective goods is probably Plato.

Plato believed in an intelligible good that was discernible by logic and reason only. To Plato the human soul was divided into three parts: desirous, emotional, and logical. In modern times, we recognize these as functions of various parts of the brain (amygdala, prefrontal cortex etc.). The goods you listed would not be objective goods to Plato--rather subjective goods; things which appeal to our appetites, whose "goodness" is called such only because these things please our senses.

Let's take granny's fudge as an example. Think about how granny's fudge appeals to the senses; the rich chocolatey scent that surrounds them, the sweet, sugary taste that makes your mouth water. We call these things good only because they excite our appetitive natures. But this doesn't make them objectively good. In a purely reasonable sense, the fudge is objectively good perhaps only in moderation. Logically, a little bit of fudge might be objectively good because it brings pleasure to the senses, and thus happiness. Too much fudge would be objectively bad. Because overconsumption would lead to health problems. Health problems lead to unhappiness. Plato thought that happiness (or more precisely eudaimonia) was an objective standard by which we might measure goodness. Those things that produce eudaimonia consistently are objectively good. Those things that harm our lives or destroy eudaimonia are objectively bad.

The senses or the appetites might point the way toward objective goods, but they (by themselves) are inadequate tools for discerning good from not good. Let's say you walk into a room with a pan-full of granny's delicious fudge. But in this example, you happen to know that the fudge is laced with a deadly poison. If you were to smell the fudge, your senses would be exhilarated in much the same way as before. Your mouth would water at the chocolatey scent. Part of you, your desirous part, would be drawn to eat the fudge regardless of your knowledge of the deadly poison. It is only your logical self that knows that this is "bad fudge" and that it is unwise to eat it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato%27s_...ry_of_soul

Is gang rape objectively good for 6 out of the 7 people Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Yabut, Vulcan...if I die by fudge...I;m pretty sure that means I win!
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:In a purely reasonable sense, the fudge is objectively good perhaps only in moderation.

My granny's fudge was objective good for driving nails, shattering plate glass and (if she made it with nuts) mending broken horseshoes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 8, 2018 at 10:35 pm)chimp3 Wrote: How do you objectively decide what is good? That pan seared T-Bone with sauteed mushrooms? The old vine Zinfandel? The Fudge your granny made when you were a child? Sushi? Pizza? Hummus with pita and oil cured olives? Good coffee and pistachio ice cream? By which objective standard do you compare your favorite taste treats?

Minimize suffering as much as you can; maximize a certain level of happiness and utility for all.

People who disagree with the above are sometimes sociopaths.
(June 9, 2018 at 12:16 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: I would take issue with the word "decide." If it's an objective thing you would actually be discerning or figuring out what is good. You don't decide that earth revolves around the sun. It is an objective truth. You use observation and reason to figure it out. In much the same way, you must use logic and reason to discern objective goods. The figure most associated with the idea of objective goods is probably Plato.
No love for aristotle?  Most of our current ethical theories on objective goods are aristotelian rather than platonist.  His ethics seek to arrive at the same conclusions as platos..but without the burden of those elaborate metaphysics.  I;d give him pride of place if I was associating people with objective goods.  Platos objective goods only existed in order to support his metaphysics..upon which they were predicated.

OTOH, Aristotle only broke that vicious circularity by refusing to address it in the first place.  Discussions of goodness and virtue only mean something to people who already possess knowledge of those things, to whatever degree.  I suppose that;s not intellectually satisfying, but it could very well be true.  It may be impossible to explain "what is good" to a person who has no prior concept of good.  Like so many "what's wrong with rape" threads.....if somebodies asking the question....and not in a half assed edgelord kind of way, you can be pretty damned certain that nothing you tell them will ever explain whats wrong with rape.  

That;s what springs to my mind, in any case, everytime one of these "how can we determine an objective standard for goodness" threads crops up.  Either you can or you can;t..but if you really cant....it;s probably a you problem, not a "we" problem.  

(we're shamelessly stealing your food pron thread chimp)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I have a subjective mouth and it gets around. No good answer.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3153 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] What is goodness? Porcupine 24 1348 July 19, 2020 at 4:44 am
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8315 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13759 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4446 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Autonomous vehicle objective morality! ignoramus 0 804 July 26, 2017 at 5:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is morality objective or subjective? SuperSentient 50 11462 May 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On the consistent use of "objective" and "subjective" Ignorant 22 4315 November 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is there objective Truth? Soldat Du Christ 455 48449 November 7, 2016 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
  The origins of Humanities Objective Knowledge and the fundamental mistake of behavior fdesilva 6 1407 August 19, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE