Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 1:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have seen the light!
I have seen the light!
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting and I am so excited to be doing so. I have a question that I will get to after my brief intro.

I was raised in a non religious household...in fact, so non religious that my dad and I have always joked and gag-gifted Lordy type things. In 2002 I had a life changing event that left me not knowing how to carry on. A friend of mine was "Christian" (a terrible representation of one anyways, lol) and suggested that I read the bible for answers. I think I got a few pages in when I realized that it was so not for me. None of it made sense and it really just seemed like a story book using grown up words. Absolutely nothing resonated with me. I decided to shelve my need for answers and figured that something would click eventually.

A couple of years later I met the man who I would marry. He was (and still is, 10 years later) everything I have ever wanted. Funny thing is, he's Muslim. I spent the next 6 or 7 years trying to get him to tell me something, anything really, that would make me want to convert. I practically begged him to quench my thirst for answers but again, nothing he told me meant anything. At some point I realized that there would never be anything he would be able to tell me that would be enough.

I remember the day when I had that moment...the same one that you see on those wedding dress shows when they realize they have found THE dress. I was reading a blog about a man who was dying...he happened to be an atheist. He wrote something about death that made me want more...and MORE. I read for days, weeks, months! Truth be told, I have been reading and absorbing for a few years now. I can say, without hesitation, guilt or shame (I felt shame...is that normal?) that I am an atheist! And it isn't a dirty word like I used to think it was. Like, I'm not a rioting, devil worshipping animal...I'm still the same me, I just finally know in my heart that my parents didn't rob me of a grand belief system and I'm still a super decent person.

I'm not spiritual, I don't believe in Karma and I can't be "saved". How liberating it is to finally know and have confidence it that!

Anyways, on to my question. It has to do with me "coming out". I'm not planning on making a big announcement or anything and I'm comfortable facing my in-laws (lol, they live thousands of miles away!) when they learn about the real me, but I do have several Christian friends and lots of Muslim family members and I'm wondering how to handle people approaching me trying to debate my belief system. I know it isn't their business or place to do so, but I know it will be coming. I don't want to shut them down and I certainly respect them for having beliefs (though I know they are worshipping an idea based on nonsense) but I don't feel confident enough in my....non-belief?...to go head to head with anyone yet.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to handle the believers who will try to get me to see their lordy light?
RE: I have seen the light!
(May 31, 2013 at 3:03 pm)kanda Wrote: Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to handle the believers who will try to get me to see their lordy light?

Haunt this forum...uh.."religiously".

You will learn what types of arguments the theists use and how to refute them. You will also learn about logic, how it is used (and mostly, misused) and how to analyze assertions for flaws. Plus, you will find some really cool, very smart people here. Maybe even make a friend or two!

You have landed in the best possible place (IMHO) to learn how to defend your atheism.

Welcome aboard!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
(May 31, 2013 at 3:03 pm)kanda Wrote: I know it isn't their business or place to do so, but I know it will be coming. I don't want to shut them down and I certainly respect them for having beliefs (though I know they are worshipping an idea based on nonsense) but I don't feel confident enough in my....non-belief?...to go head to head with anyone yet.
Right, so I guess you're an Atheist because you don't think sufficient evidence for God exists, so where's the insecurity coming from exactly? If people are trying to engage with you, surely you should be going in head first to see if what they're saying has any merit. I don't think anyone is in a position to dictate to you what you should accept as evidence or what you should reject, that's for you to decide.

oh and welcome!
Hi Kanda,

Depending on how much of your life you want to waste on such things, you can arm yourself by learning many of the typical so-called arguments for god and have that in your devil-worshippin' toolbox. What makes it easy for us DWs, is, none of the arguments are worth a hoot. They are all piss-poor, have always been piss-poor and always will be. TAG, ontological, design and such. Tarted up nonsense.

What is more fun, is when you start learning of all the holes in, say Christianity, you can make your lordy light folk really squirm -- these days I like to go off the litany of what there isn't evidence for: Adam/Eve, Flood, Exodus, lack of evidence for Jesus etc. Depends on the believer and how wiggly they are too of course.

Or you can just say, you don't think living your life based on ancient mythology makes much sense.

Practice on here or other sites to hone your skills, again, depending on how much of your life you want to waste. Many DWs know more, and sometimes know far more about a religion than do the followers of that religion; mostly as a matter of self-defense.

And you kids do have the internet at your disposal; something us geezers didn't have back < 1990. We actually had to read books. Freaky! Anything they throw at you, you can quickly research.

But be careful. They are a devious, cunning bunch.
I would simply tell them that religious beliefs are a personal decision, and you don't feel comfortable discussing such a heated topic with family members, or anyone else for that matter. If they try to press the issue, just remember that you are not obligated to engage in a discussion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Light Samson 8 2471 June 29, 2010 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Mr Camel