Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 7, 2024, 9:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Light
My Light
Thought I might as well post my story considering how long I've been a part of these forums....Smile

My conversion is pretty cut and dry....

I was raised in a "VERY" Baptist and Pentecostal background, however that was only one-half of my family. The other half are from Lebanon, but live in the states. I had more of the Christian side from birth till 10, with little influences of Islam here and there.

By the time I turned thirteen I was already questioning both sides of the desert beliefs, but I still believed in a biblical type god.
It wasn't until I was sixteen that I finally sat down and read the Bible (OT/NT) and at nineteen I read the Qur'an.

From that point on I tried to find every Theist/religious book I could get my hands on. After that, I spent almost 10 years of my life realizing how human they all were on so many levels. Those nice little similarities from civilizations gone and passed down.

By that time, I had already threw out any notions that a Bible, Torah, Qur'an, etc. were reasons to believe in a god, but I was still superstitious and leaned more towards a Pagan type backing.

It took more years and more reading and more traveling in my life to break the chains of it all. For anyone out there who believes that it's easy to become Atheist or get to that point on a personal level, I would have to disagree.

I am more comfortable and happy in my life now than I have ever been throughout my years of trying to have an understanding. Of course I don't know it all, but what I do know is that superstitious bullshit is blinding......

Good luck out there to anyone who is struggling in their own minds in concerns with religion....
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
RE: My Light
Nice post Samson Wink
Thank you Fr0d0....

I actually wouldn't mind reading your story..
Frodo's story starts

IN THE BEGINNING........................
I have no idea what Fr0d0 believes or thinks...

I gave up debating with him......lol
Too back and forth for me........
Thanks for sharing Smile

I was never really indoctrinated from the beginning so I can't say I know what it's like to live a life searching for your beliefs.
While I was raised in a secular household, my parents fed me information about religion every now and then... I guess to get me prepared for when my views became important to me.
"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

(June 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm)Scott Richens Wrote: my parents fed me information about religion every now and then... I guess to get me prepared for when my views became important to me.
I guess that's the important thing ...giving you the tools
(June 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm)Scott Richens Wrote: Thanks for sharing Smile

I was never really indoctrinated from the beginning so I can't say I know what it's like to live a life searching for your beliefs.
While I was raised in a secular household, my parents fed me information about religion every now and then... I guess to get me prepared for when my views became important to me.

Scott, it's pretty much what I gave my kids.....I did not hound on one particular belief, but gave them access to all. Smile

They so far have turned out to be very wonderful and intelligent free thinkers.......Smile
Samson Wrote:They so far have turned out to be very wonderful and intelligent free thinkers.......Smile

Great to here - they're lucky to have been raised by you Wink

fr0d0 Wrote:I guess that's the important thing ...giving you the tools

yea of course Wink And I've thanked them for that.
"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have seen the light! kanda 4 1597 May 31, 2013 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Faith No More