Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An der schönen blauen Donau
An der schönen blauen Donau
For the last three days it has been practicaly raining non stop and from what I am hearing it is supposedly going to continue raining for the next few days until thursday.

Consequently there has been some really bad flooding in central Europe, including the region of Austria where I live.

In Austria the situation is really bad, there is a term used here which is "Jahrhundert Hochwasser" which means "flood of the century". The term is being already used to describe the current situation, but journalists cant helpt to point out that the last "Jahrhundert Hochwasser" only happened recently about 10 years ago, and before that, a similary big flood took place 10 years before that one. Maybe it has something to do with climate change, anyway, it seems as if the severe flooding which use to turn up here once every 100 years are now turning up once every 10 years.

5 people have been killed so far, and I hope that there wont be more fatalities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AENfpUVshaw
RE: An der schönen blauen Donau
Wow!

Didn't know about this at all. Does this happen a lot?
For the past 30 years it has happened once every 10 years.
You stay safe there mate!

Yeah we are getting the same "slightly wacky" rainfall situations here in Oz. Climate Change.... yep I'll go with that. Dunno For us though it isn't THAT strange. We have 100, 30, 20, 11, 8 year cycles for almost everything...at least what I have observed over the past 50 odd years.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Thing is, since we hardly ever have natural disasters here, people get really excited when they turn up, because theres finaly something exciting happening.
It's terrible but I had to laugh when they said on the news that three water-sportsmen were missing. They're certainly okay and probably having the time of their lifes Big Grin
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
In the meantime, Portugal... is welcoming summer! Wink

Hang in there, central Europe!!
At least you don't have in your country Senator Inhofe(R-OK) who declared: Global Warming is a hoax, arrogant to think humans can change seasons.
(June 3, 2013 at 9:40 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: Thing is, since we hardly ever have natural disasters here, people get really excited when they turn up, because theres finaly something exciting happening.

Good grief! I KNOW what you mean!! Same here in Perth Western Australia!

A day of rain is a nine day wonder! A week of rain and flooding! Oh my grey glob! One can be excused for thinking that the population had lost their minds!

Major Facepalm

Donau is being difficult?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:For the past 30 years it has happened once every 10 years.

So much for the "flood of the century," eh?

In case any one needs to know what climate change looks like, there it is.