Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"When will I need to know this?"
"When will I need to know this?"
What interest have I... in knowing that some guy (Vitas Bering?) sailed to Alaska from Russia, and claimed it for the Russians, who later sold the territory to the USA?

What interest have I... in knowing the process that creates rain is evaporation, condensation, and precipitation?

None, nada, zero, zippo, squat.

This information neither concerns my future or my present... and so I ask the question: "When will I need to know this?"

I am past graduation level with my reading and writing... my mathematics is past it as well, but I am ending it at graduation level due to same reasons as I would like to end History/Geography/Sciences (And because I don't want to mess with the difficulty level of that math).

Where am I behind? I need to complete 2 more sections of science knowledge (Earth and weather sciences respectively), 4 History/etc related (AK Studies, Government, USA History, and World History/Geography respectively), 3 levels of technology standards (Vary extensively in level), 4 categories of personal expression (Same as tech), and 3 levels of careers and employability (this one is actually quite worth doing, though it is mostly useless to me because of my individual conditions)...

AND I DON'T NEED ANY OF THOSE. What could I do with that time that would be more productive? I could be memorizing Russian words and Icelandic words and learning to conjugate the two... I could be learning to understand those parts of French and Spanish and Latin that I do not already know... I could be engaging in intellectual conversations to support my grasp upon philosophy and reasoning skills (Like i am doing here).

So my question is posed: "When will I EVER need to know this... and why?!"
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: "When will I need to know this?"
So that when you argue/discuss something, regardless of the subject, you'll know what you're talking about.

How many of those idiots who argue against socialized medicine and death panels actually know what it is? How many Americans think this is a Christian Nation and have no idea what the founding fathers really envisioned? These horrible misunderstandings come from a severe lack of even the most basic education in American History and Politics. Even the most simplest of facts can help you better understand various arguments and debates.

Any knowledge is better than no knowledge. College courses are specifically designed so that not only do you specialize but you still have basic knowledge of other subjects so you don't become too specialized. It's not a perfect system, but I think it works fairly well. There simply is too much knowledge to learn everything quickly, sadly enough. Once you finish college you'll have the rest of your life to specialize in what you want.

I wish I could go back to college. :/
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
How many of those idiots took mandatory USA history classes, mandatory science classes... and STILL manage to think this is a Christian Nation? I'll ask around the classroom. Stats:

No: 3
Somewhat no: 0
Maybe/idk: 4
Somewhat yes: 1
Yes: 3

Not so good looking, I think.

And as an afterpoint: Most of my information I have gleaned from outside the schooling system.
While the actual content may not all be useful, the act of learning, researching, studying, recalling, memorizing all improves the way your brain works and leads to a healthier mind.

From an employment standpoint, it shows you have a diverse background of knowledge and the will to work hard at things that aren't neccessarily a walk in the park.
- Meatball
Exactly, Meatball. I honestly really don't like it when I hear kids say "When will I ever use math, etc..." Honestly, to me, it shows ignorance. Learning is one of the most valuable things, probably THE most valuable thing a human can do. It's our mind and ability to think that separates us from the other apes. As Meatball said, even just the act of learning facts is a valuable tool.

As I said before, the system isn't perfect, but the intent is there. I assume you are in college correct? The general education credits are specifically meant to broaden what you learn and make sure you're not only specializing in 1 specific subject and ignorant about everything else.

Your classroom sample is representative of nothing, and you'd know that if you understood statistics.

Learning is a wonderful thing, and I wish wholeheartedly I could be in classes you deem useless, unfortunately I can't afford to go back just yet.

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I am in high-school, Eilonnwy Smile I am trying to get into collage 1.5 years before I am 18. I will be graduating in 4-6 months.... with all of that unnecessary high-school level work completed, and completed well.

However, (and the point in what I am saying with my OP is here) I would much rather devote my learning to lingual exercise, as I am attempting to become fluent in at least 5 major (and two minor) languages before I am 23.

It is a waste of my preciously short time to study things that matter little to my line of study. Should a foot doctor really give a damn about USA or Alaska History? Not really, it is not prevalent to his profession (all the more so if he lives in neither place), and he could instead be studying how to be better at his profession.

That is my point here... that my valuable time is wasted in attempting to memorize a textbook, only to forget it within a month. And I ask when I will ever need to know things that are not prevalent to either my life or to my profession.
My classroom example was just a frustration vent, I apologize for it Smile
You're only in High school? That explains a lot.

High school exists so you can have basic knowledge so you can get by in this world that ever more increasingly relies on people with knowledge. College is where you'll specialize and you can do it till your hearts content when you get in with the addition of some general ed.

You may have goals in your mind but be realistic. You want to study language, work hard, get into a good college.

I am quite realistic Smile I have already taught myself most of the finer patterns of each of those languages I named. My problem is only in comprehension and fluency in speaking (I.E. lack of memorized vocabulary, and only a few CDs to practice speaking to). It is the same with musical instruments: easy to learn... but it takes practice, and a often a teacher's guidance, to master.

High school is absorbing years of my life that I simply do not have to waste. There is nothing that I can learn in either those science classes... or history/government/geography classes... that I cannot learn by researching it online. I therefore deem the exercise as absolutely pointless. I am not even going to live in the USA, yet I have to work through 2 'year long' courses devoted to this country and to this state.

My plans are all realistic, Eilon... but without these roadblocks: I could accomplish so much more. I could be taking language classes at a collage right now.
If you are as smart as you think you are you can test out of high school and go straight to college.

Why don't you ask for prospective college why they require a high-school education?

On that note, you're only going to find more "roadblocks" in college and in life. If language skill is what you're after, why not self-teach these languages? People do it all the time. Why jump through academic hoops?
- Meatball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3671 201609 8 hours ago
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1099 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  I know something you don't know... Jackalope 98 17528 April 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3924 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA