Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Heaven
Question About Heaven
Sometimes when I'm really down, I'm jealous of religious people. Like, if I could find it within me to believe in God/heaven then I feel like there would be something there to pull me out when I'm down. The thought of no matter what happens in this life, as long as you are loyal to God, you get to go to eternal paradise, could be a really relieving and comforting thought. The only problem is, I'm too logical to allow myself to believe in such a thing. Do any of y'all experience the same thing? How do I get rid of the depressing thought of being unable to believe in heaven?
RE: Question About Heaven
(June 6, 2013 at 10:09 pm)brandonmpate Wrote: How do I get rid of the depressing thought of being unable to believe in heaven?

Prozac has been clinically shown to relieve depression in a great number of people.

Seriously though the idea of Heaven isn't appealing.

You can logically realize that these thoughts will only concern you until you die. One second after you die, none of these thoughts will ever matter to you again.

That's kind of a relief in a way.

Not that I'm condoning hastening your own death. Life is pretty grand.

Enjoy it, this is a great show. If Prozac helps you enjoy the show, then take advantage of when and where you live. That you have that option.

Make life enjoyable. Surround yourself with who and what makes you happy.

Heaven? Pbhtt. Lame.

The idea of heaven being my end destination kind of depresses me after so many years of me leaving my belief in it behind.

Life is so much cooler than that idea. So much more "WOW". Reality is where the front row seats are at.
The knowledge that good triumphs and that justice prevails helps me to rationalise existence as having a positive purpose. In the present that should make me less prone to depression, but I am only human and susceptible to doubts and to lack confidence in that belief. To me it is a central reason for belief, that people directly benefit and are able to live life to the full.
(June 6, 2013 at 10:33 pm)Rahul Wrote:
(June 6, 2013 at 10:09 pm)brandonmpate Wrote: How do I get rid of the depressing thought of being unable to believe in heaven?

Prozac has been clinically shown to relieve depression in a great number of people.

Seriously though the idea of Heaven isn't appealing.

You can logically realize that these thoughts will only concern you until you die. One second after you die, none of these thoughts will ever matter to you again.

That's kind of a relief in a way.

Not that I'm condoning hastening your own death. Life is pretty grand.

Enjoy it, this is a great show. If Prozac helps you enjoy the show, then take advantage of when and where you live. That you have that option.

Make life enjoyable. Surround yourself with who and what makes you happy.

Heaven? Pbhtt. Lame.

The idea of heaven being my end destination kind of depresses me after so many years of me leaving my belief in it behind.

Life is so much cooler than that idea. So much more "WOW". Reality is where the front row seats are at.

I was on Prozac, it was the most numbing thing in the world. I would never suggest it to anyone. I am on Wellbutrin and Lamictal though.

Anyway, that's not the point. I have been on a somewhat spiritual journey recently. I have discovered many things about myself, the world, others and my destiny. Life is grand, with infinite possibilities. Though, when I have been depressed this question has arisen. Just knowing that there is the light at the end, if I were to believe it, would be something that could comfort someone through tough times.
(June 6, 2013 at 10:46 pm)brandonmpate Wrote: I was on Prozac, it was the most numbing thing in the world. I would never suggest it to anyone.
It was the problems with getting it up, wasn't it? I know that feel, brah.
(June 6, 2013 at 10:46 pm)brandonmpate Wrote: Life is grand, with infinite possibilities.

Indeed it is. We just have to remember that rather than let the bad stuff rob us if it. Easier said than done I know.
(June 6, 2013 at 10:42 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: The knowledge that good triumphs and that justice prevails helps me to rationalise existence as having a positive purpose. In the present that should make me less prone to depression, but I am only human and susceptible to doubts and to lack confidence in that belief. To me it is a central reason for belief, that people directly benefit and are able to live life to the full.

I agree with you definitely. However, non-conditional statements such as good triumphs and justice prevails are quite difficult to accept. As there are times people get away with horrible things, and innocent people get incarcerated for things they haven't done. The only thing I believe in is fate. Not in the sense that what we are to do/become is set at birth, but that each of us is born with a specific purpose and to fulfill that purpose is the key to fulfillment. My philosophy is somewhat 'every little thing, is gonna be alright.' I see everything, regardless of whether or not justice prevails, as what was the best ending or conclusion to a situation. That everything in my life, no matter how big or small will work itself out, and that means that in the present moment I really shouldn't concern myself with what MIGHT happen, or to allow myself to become overwhelmed by emotions. I do see what you mean about being a human with doubts. At times for me, it is really hard to live by my philosophy. This is a newly founded philosophy for me, so perhaps it may get easier to live by as time goes on. I'm not quite sure. I do know that everything working itself out as truth (at least for myself). When in a clear mindset, I feel completely and totally secure in it.

(June 6, 2013 at 10:48 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote:
(June 6, 2013 at 10:46 pm)brandonmpate Wrote: I was on Prozac, it was the most numbing thing in the world. I would never suggest it to anyone.
It was the problems with getting it up, wasn't it? I know that feel, brah.

Haha, no, I was fortunate enough not to experience that. It was my emotions. I felt neither happy or sad. When sad things would happen, and I would normally cry over that situation, I simply felt nothing. I had no motivation as nothing brought me pleasure or had any reason for doing it. I actually became hospitalized for suicide as that was depressing in and of itself. I curse prozac, and I see it as my personal mission to fix the corruption and false research with big pharma.
I do not have a lust for dying, but as I finally die I will be completely relieved.

Heaven is not a very complex concept, which is why You should doubt it. Life in the clouds for eternity? Please...
Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die, and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!
(June 6, 2013 at 10:53 pm)brandonmpate Wrote: Haha, no, I was fortunate enough not to experience that. It was my emotions. I felt neither happy or sad. When sad things would happen, and I would normally cry over that situation, I simply felt nothing. I had no motivation as nothing brought me pleasure or had any reason for doing it. I actually became hospitalized for suicide as that was depressing in and of itself. I curse prozac, and I see it as my personal mission to fix the corruption and false research with big pharma.
I wish I could've had the same results. I would've still been taking the drug if I only got the awesome ability to neither feel happy nor sad. That experience, or rather lack there of, was good for me, personally. But not being able to get it up, man... not worth it.
(June 6, 2013 at 11:49 pm)Walking Void Wrote: Heaven is not a very complex concept, which is why You should doubt it. Life in the clouds for eternity? Please...

I'm not aware of any Christians that literally think heaven is in the clouds. At least I never came across someone thinking that during my 25+ years as a Christian.