Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I really hate customers!
I really hate customers!
Ok so about two weeks ago, a customer came in and bought some items for delivery. While I was on my way out of the shop for a purpose he came in and said he needed a refund - I indicated "talk to the other guy" since I was leaving, and when I came back I got the story. From this point on let's call the customer Mr Jones.

My colleague - who we'll call "John Smith" Wink - explained that Mr Jones asked for a refund - which he agreed to and John said "we'll do it later in the week". Mr Jones turned sour and started demanding money, and said "I'll be back at 10AM tomorrow, you better have my money" also "If you don't have my money at 10AM I'm bringing a heap of guys from work with me at the end of the day".

Now John tells this story to me, and our boss - and our boss "well he doesn't have a right to a refund anyway, does he" and I said "no he certainly doesn't. It's a change of mind - customer certainly does not have the right to demand a refund". I also told John, I'm more than happy to be the one to deal with it tomorrow. After all, Jones is my customer.

So he (my boss) called the office of fair trading, who told him "no, the customer does not have a right to a refund unless you have given them the right in writing" - which, obviously, we have not done. Then he called the police, who said that if the customer returns with anyone else and demands a refund then it will constitute a threat and we can make a report.

So tomorrow when he arrives I'll be telling him this: 1. You're not getting a refund, you're not legally entitled to it. 2. You can either accept delivery of your goods today as per our agreement, or I will give you back the delivery fee and you can collect them yourself. 3. You have to leave the business premises and you are not welcome back - with the sole exception of picking up your goods - if you come back for any other purpose you are trespassing, and I'll be calling the police.

I have the direct number for the policeman my boss spoke to yesterday, that's who I'll be calling if he refuses to leave.

There'll be fallout from this, no doubt, but we don't have to take this kind of bullshit. If Mr Jones had been civil, he would have got a refund. Although refunds are rare, I'd say at least 90% of them are "change of mind" where we have no legal obligation to do so, and simply do so out of "good will".

We physically couldn't do it yesterday - the account linked to the EFTPOS would not have had more than a couple of hundred, tops, in it - we have to have the funds available in that account to issue a refund on the card, obviously. This was explained to him by John, clearly he was not satisfied with the explanation. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow! Big Grin

BTW, the person at the office of fair trading explained to my boss, that even though John agreed to a refund - we do not have a legal obligation to proceed with it. I'm looking forward to it tomorrow. I'll begin with "Mr Jones, I spoke to my boss - at length - about this matter, and he is adamant that you're not getting a refund. These are your options ..."

Of course, if he comes in, apologizes for threatening John and changes his tone, he maybe will get a refund (or I'll write a store credit). IF he changes his tone.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: I really hate customers!
You're not alone.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Tell me about it, I worked at a toll boot and man, do I have stories to tell Big Grin
Oh look, I remember my last refund well. I told the customer he'd be waiting a couple of days, I've got his credit card number and his phone number - and it got done. At the time though he went on about "standard procedure is that you just put the money back on my card". Thankfully he was reasonable. I could have easily said to him "standard procedure is that you take your goods and leave, as you're not entitled to a refund - and by the way don't presume to tell me how to do my job you fucking idiot". What I did, however, was explain that I don't have to give him a refund, he isn't legally entitled to it, but I'm willing to do it for him out of good-will. The idea that threats and demands will be rewarded with good-will, however, is completely delusional. I've had my fucking share of bullying over the years, when the customer comes in they'll be talking to an unsympathetic brick wall. Big Grin
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I worked in electrical wholesaling for 11 years before I started my diesel apprenticeship.

I have waaaay too many stories to tell.

BTW what is it you actually sell?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Alas, you refund them. That's easy considering I had to fine them for not having a origin card. At the time they used a magnetic card that people picked up at the entrance of the motorway, then deliver it at the exit so we could determine the price according to the distance the customer traveled. If somehow the origin card got lost, we had to charge 2 x the maximum, that its around 40 € at the time. Holy shitstorm batman! In the middle of busy motorways no less!
The problem is that we live in a corporate zoo where the greedy moneymakers think the only way to keep customers is to make the erroneous claim that the customer is always right. It makes them think they can do and say whatever they want when they go into any business, complain to their hearts' desires, and walk away with a feeling of accomplishment for having been rude. This kind of sick behavior should not be encouraged.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
well yeah, I am unemployed......

Tongue

But I remember jobs I had in bars as a bar keeper where I was constantly confronted with disgusting drunks. Worst of all, when you make the call that certain people had had enought and are no longer served any alcohol.
Try working in IT. People get frustrated at their computer and take it out on you.

I once had a professor bitch me out for 10 minutes because he couldn't properly enter his password.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Quote: Although refunds are rare, I'd say at least 90% of them are "change of mind" where we have no legal obligation to do so, and simply do so out of "good will".

You have a good point, Danny. Most people who buy blow-up dolls don't want a refund.

Why does jesus let you work there?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1145 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  My HATE Thread! impaler 46 2746 September 2, 2020 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  I hate it when I do that... onlinebiker 22 1262 July 15, 2020 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why I hate food critics.... Brian37 23 2881 January 21, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Why I Hate Music Critics BrianSoddingBoru4 2 730 January 19, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: no one
  I hate government Apex1050 24 1871 May 30, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Athene
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7824 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I don't hate everything my species does. Brian37 17 2647 March 20, 2019 at 5:05 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Computer repair workshop customers I need your help purplepurpose 12 1121 March 18, 2019 at 9:33 am
  Damn - I hate that.... onlinebiker 7 1186 January 29, 2019 at 5:25 pm