Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First things first
First things first
Looks like this is the place to say hello.

So...hello.
RE: First things first
Welcome aboard.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
hello and welcome
Guten Abend!
(June 25, 2013 at 9:55 am)Savannahw Wrote: hello and welcome

What's a spiritual atheist? Is that like an agnostic? (Just wondering because, though I'm not a new atheist, I'm definitely not new to atheist communities. Being in the military has always surrounded me with religious people.)
Hello, hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(June 25, 2013 at 10:03 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote: What's a spiritual atheist? Is that like an agnostic? (Just wondering because, though I'm not a new atheist, I'm definitely not new to atheist communities. Being in the military has always surrounded me with religious people.)

I can't speak for her but I've known atheists who take that label. The idea is that the natural universe inspires plenty of wonder without the supernatural. I guess it depends on your idea of what "spiritual" means.

Then again, there's my wife who is an atheist but believes in ghosts. She and I make an odd pairing considering I'm a deist who doesn't believe in an afterlife.

Atheist just means you don't believe in a god or gods. It doesn't necessarily preclude a belief in the supernatural.

In any event, welcome aboard.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(June 25, 2013 at 10:44 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: Then again, there's my wife who is an atheist but believes in ghosts.

But does she believes that the things referred to as Ghosts used to be living, breathing humans?

There's something going on with the ghost phenomena. But to jump to the conclusion that they are the spirits of formerly alive people is a jump in logic for me. And one not based on any evidence.

Yeah, but there are some odd things going on, on this planet.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(June 25, 2013 at 11:22 am)Rahul Wrote: But does she believes that the things referred to as Ghosts used to be living, breathing humans?

There's something going on with the ghost phenomena. But to jump to the conclusion that they are the spirits of formerly alive people is a jump in logic for me. And one not based on any evidence.

Yeah, but there are some odd things going on, on this planet.

Yes as in "used to be living, breathing humans". She thinks consciousness is some kind of energy that survives the death of the brain.

I'm skeptical of both her claims and yours but I don't completely rule them out. We don't know what consciousness is and I will wait for the verdict from neuroscience when it comes in. If there is such a thing as a "soul", it must have properties that can be discovered and studied. Same goes for "odd things going on". So I don't rule them out but I see no reason to believe and have prepared myself for what I see as "worst case scenario" that we are no worse off after we die then before we were born. Hence my self-classification.

I think the dichotomy between my wife and I underscores how the God and afterlife (or spirits) issue are not necessarily connected as a lot of people seem inclined to think. You might think that God created a strictly natural universe where we don't have to be scared of hauntings and we get one shot at the brass ring. Or you might not believe in any god but still believe there's some natural mechanic behind consciousness that survives the death of the brain.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(June 25, 2013 at 11:42 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: I'm skeptical of both her claims and yours but I don't completely rule them out.

haha I'm not making much of a claim. "Odd things" could mean most anything. I'm agnostic about what those odd things might turn out to be.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.