Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:55 pm

Poll: Is de-converting a form of converting?
This poll is closed.
No, it's the opposite of converting.
25.00%
1 25.00%
Yes de-converting is the conversion to atheism.
0%
0 0%
I'm not sure...it's debatable. ..it's a matter of opinion....a subjective truth...you can't define atheism...etc etc etc.
75.00%
3 75.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is de-converting a form of converting?
Is de-converting a form of converting?
Some people think de-converting is a form of converting...

I personally think de-converting by definition is the OPPOSITE of converting.

What do YOU think?
RE: Is de-converting a form of converting?
Personally I think it can be viewed pretty much every way. It depends on too many unknowns, and also the agreement on the definition of atheism (which will never happen). I really don't care for the word; if someone stops believing in something I'd call that de-converting, but others will disagree.
(October 5, 2008 at 8:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Personally I think it can be viewed pretty much every way. It depends on too many unknowns, and also the agreement on the definition of atheism (which will never happen). I really don't care for the word; if someone stops believing in something I'd call that de-converting, but others will disagree.

I do agree that most people think it's kind of a subjective thing.

But also I'd say that by definition....atheism - as you know - just means not a theist....absence of theism.... atheism is as similar to theism as non-astrology is to astrology.

So on a similar note; I'd say that someone de-converted just means someone who no longer has a faith.....you can't convert TO atheism because you can't convert to non-faith.... because to convert means to give faith not to take it away....whether an atheist has been given faith or a theist's faith has been replaced with another faith.

I'd say there is a definition for atheism....it simply means non-theist. Absence of theism. Even disliking religion is not part of the definition.

The idea that atheism means non-theism....is just as clear as the idea that uncopyrightable means not-copyrightable... or that unknown means not-known.

Put simply, an atheist is to a theist what unmarked is to marked.

Heh, I quite like that last line Big Grin
I think "convert" loses meaning with respect to atheism. I mean, it's like the difference between changing outfits and stripping naked.
Most aspects of my deconversion were simply the shedding of old attitudes and beliefs, and as I had been slowly slipping away it was gradual and natural. As I think of it this refers mainly to my slide away from the church.

There were other aspects tho that were powerful and revalatory. Suddenly realising that THERE IS NO GOD came like a revelation, and great liberation with it.

Losing my fear of god and eternal damnation was also a pivotal pôint. I had watched a few of the YouTube Blasphemy Challenges and doing one myself broke a bunch of emotional chains.

So some aspects of deconversion were sudden, powerful, revelatory, like a conversion. Others not.

edited to add:
It's still there on YouTube, nearly 2 years old now, my first ever YouTube video was my Blasphemy Challenge
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
Thanks for making me laugh Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(October 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm)Meatball Wrote: I think "convert" loses meaning with respect to atheism. I mean, it's like the difference between changing outfits and stripping naked.

I agree MB.

PS: Stewart - I think even if you're de-conversion was sudden like a conversion... I still don't think it's a form of conversion... I think it's the opposite. I think a sudden de-conversion is still the opposite of a conversion; regardless of how quick it is. Losing religious ideas suddenly; is not the same as suddenly believing in a new faith (or your first faith).

That's what I think anyway.

P.P.S: As I said... the definition of atheist is: Non-theist; not a theist. That's what a-thesit means....that defnition is just as accurate as any other accurate definition. It's just as accurate as the definiton of unmarked; it means non-marked; not marked. It's very clear and very accurate. The idea that an atheist is someone who dislikes or even hates God is a misconception...that's not the definiton of atheist; in any shape or form. JUST as the definiton of car-alarm is not: marsupial - in any shape or form...(excluding utter, utter absurdness that I can't even think of right now).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converting The Valkyrie 98 7699 May 5, 2020 at 3:12 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Was at least the first life form created? rjh4 is back 102 51918 November 2, 2009 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb