Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting
Converting
It's just struck me that choosing a religion to convert to must be really difficult.

Think about it for a moment.

We have Christians and Muslims, in particular, through here all the time showing us the merits of their beliefs.

- The Qu'ran is 100% credible and has no contradictions. Neither does the Bible.

- The Qu'ran is scientifically correct and infallible. So is the Bible.

- The Qu'ran made predictions about events that are happening now. So did the Bible.

And their believers are so willing, in some cases, to do whatever is necessary to prove their religion to be true. Why would they do that if the beliefs aren't true?

And we KNOW the above is all accurate because who, with God watching over them, would lie to promote their beliefs? That would be a sin and potentially worthy of a hot trip southwards...

So we know they're telling the truth.

And then we get to the difficulty of choosing which sub group of the religion to belong to. Should we become Shia or Sunni? Catholic or Baptist?

With all of this, it's no surprise that atheists seem so stubborn.

We just don't know which of these True Religions to choose from.
Dying to live, living to die.
RE: Converting
They excel at converting logic into massive steaming piles of bullshit.
(April 11, 2020 at 5:54 pm)no one Wrote: They excel at converting logic into massive steaming piles of bullshit.

But surely there has to be some truth in it?

Would some Muslims blow themselves up if their beliefs weren't true? Woukd some Christian martyrs have endured uninaginable tortures if their beliefs weren't true?*

*Of course there is a huge difference between facts and beliefs...
There is a very real chance that if there is a god, and with all the fake religions out there, (and all of them must be fake (except one)), that God's true religion hasn't been discovered yet.
Why do we assume that the correct path has to be one of the ones on offer currently today?
I'm just waiting for the ONE TRUE RELIGION™ to reveal itself to me.
I'm being patient because I take it seriously and don't want to be stooged by all the red herrings out there.
But the REAL God still hasn't shown up? What am I doing wrong?
Am I wrong to expect the greatest being more powerful than the universe itself to NOT want to have a one on one conversation with me?
It's not like I think I'm special or anything, right?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 11, 2020 at 6:24 pm)ignoramus Wrote: There is a very real chance that if there is a god, and with all the fake religions out there, (and all of them must be fake (except one)), that God's true religion hasn't been discovered yet.
Why do we assume that the correct path has to be one of the ones on offer currently today?

Your scenario doesn't make sense, if there is a just God who hasn't revealed himself yet, then he already proved himself unjust to all people who died before the *one true religion* arrives. Thus the god in your scenario is either unjust or unexistent.
(April 11, 2020 at 6:37 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(April 11, 2020 at 6:24 pm)ignoramus Wrote: There is a very real chance that if there is a god, and with all the fake religions out there, (and all of them must be fake (except one)), that God's true religion hasn't been discovered yet.

Your scenario doesn't make sense, if there is a just God who hasn't revealed himself yet, then he already proved himself unjust to all people who died before the *one true religion* arrives. Thus the god in your scenario is either unjust or unexistent.

Just like the billions of humans and human ancestors who existed before the Abrahamic god appeared a few thousand years ago?
Klor, Unjust in who's eyes?
Are we unjust when we kill thousands of ants by walking on them without even knowing it?
I think we all know that if there truly was a being that powerful, we chimps wouldn't be on his radar. At all.
Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 11, 2020 at 6:37 pm)Klorophyll Wrote: Thus the god in your scenario is either unjust or unexistent.
Like all the others.
(April 11, 2020 at 6:45 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Klor, Unjust in who's eyes?
Are we unjust when we kill thousands of ants by walking on them without even knowing it?
I think we all know that if there truly was a being that powerful, we chimps wouldn't be on his radar. At all.
Big Grin

Your ant analogy is spit on, Iggy.

But I think the Abrahamic god is more like a kid with a magnifying glass near an ant hill.
There is a just FSM who hasn't revealed Ximself yet, then Xhe already proved Xhimself unjust to all people who died before the *one true religion* arrives. Thus Klory's false god is either unjust or unexistent.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is de-converting a form of converting? Edwardo Piet 6 3898 October 6, 2008 at 7:03 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet