Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Are the Existentialists?
Where Are the Existentialists?
Why aren't we seeing any advocates for existentialism?

They must be rare indeed. I cannot remember ever seeing a post from such. It seems like every atheist is a naturalist or materialist.
RE: Where Are the Existentialists?
Well according to wikipedia it may be because we aren't dead.

Quote:There has never been general agreement on the definition of existentialism. The term is often seen as a historical convenience as it was first applied to many philosophers in hindsight, long after they had died.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 26, 2013 at 1:31 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Why aren't we seeing any advocates for existentialism?

They must be rare indeed. I cannot remember ever seeing a post from such. It seems like every atheist is a naturalist or materialist.
I'm often confused & disoriented by my experience of the world's absurdity. Does that count?
Sum ergo sum
(June 26, 2013 at 1:31 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Why aren't we seeing any advocates for existentialism?

How would it be inconsistent to be both an existentialist and a naturalist or materialist?

I consider myself an existentialist. I consider myself a long list of things, actually. In what way do you think posts by an existentialist would be different from posts by a naturalist who wasn't an existentialist?
Wooters really needs to come up with shit a lot faster if he hopes that by throwing a lot of shit really quickly, some may stick long enough to still be there when the next wave of shit arrives.
Quote:The term is often seen as a historical convenience as it was first applied to many philosophers in hindsight, long after they had died.

You mean....once they no longer existed?

How ironic.
(June 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:The term is often seen as a historical convenience as it was first applied to many philosophers in hindsight, long after they had died.

You mean....once they no longer existed?

How ironic.

Thus proving their angst justified?

Big Grin
Violet of Lilly Blossom was such/ is such. As usual... ask at your peril! Smile

Then we had Purple Rabbit - although he was a tetchy dutchy. That was a while ago tho'.

Maybe we've just gotten our balance? What at first causes disorientation eventually just becomes the way of the world. And as you catch on to some of that it stops seeming so strange. I let the world set its own terms.

Perhaps because at least some of us aren't in to advocating positions, when our own meaning comes from within.

I'm not a big fan of telling people what they should think.