Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zombies: a metaphor for Unthinking Masses?
Zombies: a metaphor for Unthinking Masses?
My friend did a philosophical analysis of World War Z, and some of the underlying metaphors inside.

Zombies by in large represent the unthinking masses, namely public sector workers, baby boomers, etc- stealing from the young and productive. They eat brains/the productive for their own irrational greed, spreading the virus from person to person. They can not be reasoned with, they will just consume anyone productive or alive until they destroy themselves and everyone else.
The only freedom, is freedom from illusion.
RE: Zombies: a metaphor for Unthinking Masses?
Your friend made a "Philosophical Analysis" of a trash zombie film!

WOW!!!!

WHAT an amazing intellectual and philosopher that person must be!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not!

You can shove your "analysis" up your anus! Together with all the other shit you troll arround here!

Zombie movies were made as films with a political message in the beginning of their existance. In Night of the living Dead (1960 movie) a child murders and eats her parents - the metaphore of the time couldnt be more obvious. And the zombies swarming the the mall as a metaphor for brainless consumers is so obvious that it is almoust cheesy.
You are just looking for some shit to smear arround the place!

Now FUCK OFF!!!!!
The film is based on a novel (though it borrows almost nothing from it, as I understand it). The novel looks at global socio-politics through the lens of individual recollections of how governments and nations dealt with the zombie outbreak. I suppose it's a look at global political schemes via the storytelling device of a potentially-reversible apocalyptic event.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Can't be arsed to watch the video, but there may be something to this claim. After all, Jesus was a zombie.
(July 8, 2013 at 11:19 am)Tonus Wrote: The film is based on a novel (though it borrows almost nothing from it, as I understand it). The novel looks at global socio-politics through the lens of individual recollections of how governments and nations dealt with the zombie outbreak. I suppose it's a look at global political schemes via the storytelling device of a potentially-reversible apocalyptic event.

The film shares the name of the book only. The book is fantastic... the film is a mighty abortion.

If someone is going to do a philosophical analysis of a zombie film, at least make sure it is actually a good one. Romero's ones are an obvious choice, but have been analysed to death now. Yet his take on things like consumerism is still spot on.
Cunt
(July 8, 2013 at 1:25 pm)frankiej Wrote:
(July 8, 2013 at 11:19 am)Tonus Wrote: The film is based on a novel (though it borrows almost nothing from it, as I understand it). The novel looks at global socio-politics through the lens of individual recollections of how governments and nations dealt with the zombie outbreak. I suppose it's a look at global political schemes via the storytelling device of a potentially-reversible apocalyptic event.

Romero's ones are an obvious choice, but have been analysed to death now. Yet his take on things like consumerism is still spot on.

Can you expand on this?
(July 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm)Koolay Wrote:
(July 8, 2013 at 1:25 pm)frankiej Wrote: Romero's ones are an obvious choice, but have been analysed to death now. Yet his take on things like consumerism is still spot on.

Can you expand on this?

Go watch Romero's Dawn of the Dead... that is all the expanding that is needed on this. Wink
Cunt
(July 8, 2013 at 2:06 pm)frankiej Wrote:
(July 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm)Koolay Wrote: Can you expand on this?

Go watch Romero's Dawn of the Dead... that is all the expanding that is needed on this. Wink

I don't think it is a critique of consumers, I think it is a metaphor for zombies being statists flocking to consumers and traders to take away their wealth and productivity. The mall; a dystopia future of what was once a building bustling with activity and free trade, now filled with lifeless and violent people.

A consumer is just some guy peacefully shopping, no harm to anyone. The public sector wants to lock people in cages for not providing them resources.
(July 8, 2013 at 2:13 pm)Koolay Wrote: I don't think it is a critique of consumers,

Then you don't get the entire point of the film. Romero has even said it himself... he has made it quite clear. Tongue
Cunt
(July 8, 2013 at 2:15 pm)frankiej Wrote:
(July 8, 2013 at 2:13 pm)Koolay Wrote: I don't think it is a critique of consumers,

Then you don't get the entire point of the film. Romero has even said it himself... he has made it quite clear. Tongue

Metaphors can be consciously and subconsciously written. If you could just say what you mean, then it wouldn't be art.

People shopping peacefully doesn't really strike an emotional cord.

People attacking consumers and destroying shops, is a lot more powerful considering that is what the government is in progress of doing right now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4755 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Tea Party Zombies must die frankiej 0 1019 October 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: frankiej