Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 5:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Red Queen Hypothesis
The Red Queen Hypothesis
I found this to be a good read. If as a species you don't evolve and adapt you become extinct.

"Biologists quote Lewis Carroll when arguing that survival is a constant struggle to adapt and evolve. Is that true, or do groups die out because they experience a run of bad luck? Charles Marshall and Tiago Quental of UC Berkeley tested these hypotheses using mammals that arose and died out (or are now dying out) in the past 66 million years, and found that it's not luck but failure to adapt to a deteriorating environment."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-06-red-queen.html#jCp

I particularly found this statement very interesting:

"In fact our data suggest that biological systems may never be in equilibrium at all, with groups expanding and contracting under persistent and rather, geologically speaking, rapid change" he said.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
RE: The Red Queen Hypothesis
Damn and I was just reading something about how a certain species of frog was in danger due to the fact that the environment is very likely going to change much faster than it can adapt in the next 100 years due to Global Warming.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(July 15, 2013 at 1:42 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Damn and I was just reading something about how a certain species of frog was in danger due to the fact that the environment is very likely going to change much faster than it can adapt in the next 100 years due to Global Warming.

Adapt or die out.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
Religion seems to be hanging on to survival quite tenaciously despite its refusal to adapt and evolve.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 18, 2013 at 8:59 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Religion seems to be hanging on to survival quite tenaciously despite its refusal to adapt and evolve.

I almost made that same comment Maelstrom but the more I thought about it I came to the conclusion that religions, as created and modified by man, are adapting their stories as science progresses. Almost everytime science makes a new discovery existing religions spin the new information so as to make it seem like it still fits their narrative. It adapts it's message.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech Republic Jehanne 15 1556 September 13, 2022 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Okay. Interesting Hypothesis Minimalist 2 766 August 29, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Red-Deer Cave People- New Species of Human Discovered Erinome 3 2286 March 15, 2012 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Vindication of the Multiregional hypothesis for human origins Justtristo 3 2212 October 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist