Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T-Rex Not Merely a Scavenger
T-Rex Not Merely a Scavenger
http://www.newsdaily.com/article/e35d644...r-got-away

Quote:NEW YORK (AP) — The fearsome bite of a hungry Tyrannosaurus rex left behind new evidence that the famous beast hunted for food and wasn't just a scavenger.

Researchers found a part of a T. rex tooth wedged between two tailbones of a duckbill dinosaur unearthed in northwestern South Dakota. The tooth was partially enclosed by regrown bone, indicating the smaller duckbill had escaped from the T. rex and lived for months or years afterward.

Seems to put to rest the idea that T Rex only picked up dead bodies.
RE: T-Rex Not Merely a Scavenger
Cool stuff. Dinosaurs are neat.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(July 16, 2013 at 11:28 am)Minimalist Wrote: http://www.newsdaily.com/article/e35d644...r-got-away

Quote:NEW YORK (AP) — The fearsome bite of a hungry Tyrannosaurus rex left behind new evidence that the famous beast hunted for food and wasn't just a scavenger.

Researchers found a part of a T. rex tooth wedged between two tailbones of a duckbill dinosaur unearthed in northwestern South Dakota. The tooth was partially enclosed by regrown bone, indicating the smaller duckbill had escaped from the T. rex and lived for months or years afterward.

Seems to put to rest the idea that T Rex only picked up dead bodies.

So which of Noah's children did papa and mama T rex eat?

But the notion T-rex was a pure scavenger was strange. I can't think of many large modern carnovores that didn't do some of both. Active predation is very expensive in terms energy consumed and risk of injury. If you are the biggest carnovore around, why wouldn't you save energy and avail yourself of some safety when you can by scaring away smaller predator to scavenge on their kills when you can? At the same time, when you are starving and there is nothing to scavenge, why wouldn't you try some hunting?
Clearly this evidence suggests a far more surprising conclusion - that the duckbill was the predator, and it picked up the T. Rex tooth as it rolled in it's kill.

William of Ockham can kiss my ass.
It's more fun to think of a T. Rex as a hunter/killer anyway. Though I would be surprised if they'd actually pass up a free meal lying dead on the ground. Would save much time, effort, and energy.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Aww, I liked telling people that T-Rex was a scavenger. Most people hadn't heard that before so it made me seem clever. Now I've been wrong all along. Poo.
It only ever appears to have been Jack Horner that claimed T-Rex was a scavenger. Everyone else appears to have been of the opinion that it was a bit of both. As this appears to be the case for the vast majority of hunters we see today it is not really a surprising find. Lions, Hyenas and Leopards will all scavenge when the opportunity presents itself. On the African plains only the Cheetah limits itself to hunting alone.
(July 16, 2013 at 12:30 pm)Chuck Wrote: So which of Noah's children did papa and mama T rex eat?

To a T-Rex Noah, his wife, their sons and their wives would have presented just a light meal. Wink
undefined
(July 17, 2013 at 4:51 am)max-greece Wrote: It only ever appears to have been Jack Horner that claimed T-Rex was a scavenger. Everyone else appears to have been of the opinion that it was a bit of both. As this appears to be the case for the vast majority of hunters we see today it is not really a surprising find. Lions, Hyenas and Leopards will all scavenge when the opportunity presents itself. On the African plains only the Cheetah limits itself to hunting alone.

Horner is a moron. He tried to claim that Triceratopsians used their horns for sexual display only. He stated "The head is the last place you would put defensive armament." Yeah, the Cape buffalo, the Texas long-horn, etc., only used their horns for looking pretty. Confused Fall
I don't think T Rex were just scavengers, I can't deny they fed on the old blues stuff but I think he/they added something.

A scavenger T Rex raiding a nest could bite a defending duckbill parent and still retain its scavenger status.

No one better come out and say dinos didn't defend their nests because I watched the land before time movies.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]