Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Making of an Atheist: How Immorality Leads to Unbelief
The Making of an Atheist: How Immorality Leads to Unbelief
By James S. Spiegel.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Atheist-Imm...an+Atheist

Book description:
Quote:The new atheists are on the warpath. They come armed with arguments to show that belief in God is absurd and dangerous. In the name of societal progress, they promote purging the world of all religious practice. And they claim that people of faith are mentally ill. Some of the new atheists openly declare their hatred for the Judeo-Christian God.

Christian apologists have been quick to respond to the new atheists' arguments. But there is another dimension to the issue which begs to be addressed--the root causes of atheism. Where do atheists come from? How did such folks as Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, and Christopher Hitchens become such ardent atheists? If we are to believe them, their flight from faith resulted from a dispassionate review of the evidence. Not enough rational grounds for belief in God, they tell us. But is this the whole story?

Could it be that their opposition to religious faith has more to do with passion than reason? What if, in the end, evidence has little to do with how atheists arrive at their anti-faith? That is precisely the claim in this book. Atheism is not at all a consequence of intellectual doubts. These are mere symptoms of the root cause--moral rebellion. For the atheist, the missing ingredient is not evidence but obedience.

The psalmist declares, "The fool says in his heart there is no God" (Ps. 14:1), and in the book of Romans, Paul makes it clear that lack of evidence is not the atheist's problem. The Making of an Atheist confirms these biblical truths and describes the moral and psychological dynamics involved in the abandonment of faith.

Them fighting words.
RE: The Making of an Atheist: How Immorality Leads to Unbelief
A few quotes from the author:

- "There is really nothing new about the new atheism, except the degree of bombast in their claims" (p. 10).
- "The biblical message is that there are moral dynamics involved in the abandonment of faith" (p. 13).
- "The truth is that atheism is profoundly false. It is a misconstrual of reality at the most basic level" (p. 17).
- "Atheism is not the result of objective assessment of evidence, but of stubborn disobedience; it does not arise from careful application of reason but from willful rebellion" (p. 18).
- "From a naturalist standpoint the objection from evil is incoherent. This is because naturalists have no grounds to call anything evil" (p. 27).
- Since atheism is self-refuting: "What could be more futile than a worldview that undermines itself? Atheism is a sort of suicide of the mind" for as Chesterton noted "Darwinism ... is an attack upon thought itself" (p. 60).
- The author quotes William James: "If your heart does not want a world of moral reality, your head will assuredly never make you believe in one" (p. 84).
- "Perfect objectivity is impossible, at least for mere mortals. Yet some persist in claiming that science gives us an objective, unfiltered view of the world." For scientists are not "immune to the influence of their own beliefs and values as they do their research and theory formulation" (p. 92).
- "All scientific observation is to some extent interpreted though a paradigm. However neutral he or she might pretend to be, the scientist always filters data through a set of unspoken (or unconscious) presuppositions" (p. 100).
- Atheists suffer from "paradigm-induced blindness. Their theoretical framework prevents them from seeing the truth, even when it is right in front of them" (p. 102).
- "If a worldview, such as naturalism, gives us no reason to think that our belief-forming mechanisms are generally trustworthy, then we have no reason to believe that worldview is true" (p. 108).
- The good professor quotes Dawkins: "It is pretty hard to defend absolutist morals on ground other than religious ones" (TGD, 2006, p. 266).
- He adds a citation form Aquinas: "To know that God exists in a general and confused way is implanted in us by nature" (Summa Theologica, vol. 1, p. 12).

I'll be ordering this book soon.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Circular reasoning all along, gotta love it
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
I don't think I got the memo about anti-faith. I didn't realise I was supposed to bring any. How can I be a proper rebellious atheist if nobody tells me these things?

I am passionate though, I'll admit that.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
None of that seems particularly new. When I was a believer, one of the more common beliefs about atheists is that they did so in order to live immoral lives without guilt. My recollections may be fuzzy, but the voices of some may have been tinged with a bitter jealously when we, er... they said that.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Really, the title of this book tells me everything I need to know about it. Basically it's just saying "all atheists are immoral because all morality comes from God."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Quote:"The fool says in his heart there is no God" (Ps. 14:1),

Yes. And the wise man shouts it from the rooftops.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
No, it really says "all atheist are immoral because theism is required for morality". Just how theism may be required for morality depends on to which audience the claim is being sold.
Looks like a good book for theists to wack off to. I'm sure it'll sell very well.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(July 24, 2013 at 1:29 pm)Chuck Wrote: No, it really says "all atheist are immoral because theism is required for morality". Just how theism may be required for morality depends on to which audience the claim is being sold.

Too right. I find it telling how theists claim to have the corner on moral behaviour, but almost no two theists can agree on which particular behaviours are moral.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is making the rounds on my FB feed. Figbash 10 1933 December 16, 2019 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25797 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Gods immorality. Socratic Meth Head 105 18996 April 9, 2016 at 9:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Making money out of cretins FreeTony 21 3593 February 10, 2015 at 1:33 pm
  On Unbelief III. Deconstructing Arguments From Design Mudhammam 10 3999 December 24, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  On Unbelief: II. Thinking About Thinking Mudhammam 0 1106 December 14, 2014 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  On Unbelief I. Introduction Mudhammam 7 2840 December 11, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Case closed on making cases against the case for stuff, in case you were wondering. Whateverist 27 5605 December 11, 2014 at 8:12 am
Smile Is Unbelief Possible? Hezekiah 154 19337 March 23, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Belev2Know
  Atheism Leads to Inequality InevitableCheese 27 8309 January 23, 2014 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Ryantology