Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief?
What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief?
Title is pretty much self-explanatory. So basically any argument that isn't "lack of evidence".

For me, I find that my favourite is the fact that basically all religions give humanity (and human concepts such as morality) a central role in how the universe works. This I find laughably naive when compared to our current understanding of reality, and really just serves to prove how flawed of an interpretation of the world religion is.

So, what is your favourite positive argument for atheism?
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
RE: What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief?
Science.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
When it comes to Christianity, the Bible contradicts itself on the nature of god. He is love personified but he's also a mass murderer that encourages slavery and religous cleansings.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
(April 13, 2017 at 7:49 pm)Lucanus Wrote: Title is pretty much self-explanatory. So basically any argument that isn't "lack of evidence".

For me, I find that my favourite is the fact that basically all religions give humanity (and human concepts such as morality) a central role in how the universe works. This I find laughably naive when compared to our current understanding of reality, and really just serves to prove how flawed of an interpretation of the world religion is.

Yes, and I guess one of mine is a kind of follow on from that; in putting humans at the centre of the universe like that, it doesn't take into account that humans are flawed. Man created in God's image? If so then God has mood swings, confirmation bias, makes bad emotional decisions etc. What I'm saying is it paints humans as entirely superior to animals... 'the rational animal' and it's simply not true (imo). We're not perfect and most of our decisions and beliefs are influenced by emotion to some degree or another, even when we are being rational.
(April 13, 2017 at 7:49 pm)Lucanus Wrote: Title is pretty much self-explanatory. So basically any argument that isn't "lack of evidence".

The inevitable presence of unreasonable suppositions in any alternative.
All religions look exactly like easy answers to difficult questions.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Infinite regress just forces the special pleading fallacy ... and it's goes downhill from there... hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

I really hate the suffix "ism" attached to what basically means "off". It is like accusing a light switch of having an ideology. "Off" is a position, not a political or religious view.

Having said that, yes, I agree. Most humans get sold the religions of their parents/societies they grow up in and are surrounded by. Our species perceptions of reality are notoriously flawed. That was then this is now. It was understandable back then when humans didn't have our modern understanding of science, but it does look absurd now.
(April 13, 2017 at 8:20 pm)emjay Wrote:

Yes, and I guess one of mine is a kind of follow on from that; in putting humans at the centre of the universe like that, it doesn't take into account that humans are flawed. Man created in God's image? If so then God has mood swings, confirmation bias, makes bad emotional decisions etc. What I'm saying is it paints humans as entirely superior to animals... 'the rational animal' and it's simply not true (imo). We're not perfect and most of our decisions and beliefs are influenced by emotion to some degree or another, even when we are being rational.

Your son is created in your image that doesn't mean that he is smarter as you are at his age.
He will grow smarter of course but that it takes time.
The same thing goes for human beings before they emancipated to God level.
They will grow smarter and smarter like God but that takes time.

I guess you never thought about that Em, did you?  Bird

(color mine)
(April 14, 2017 at 8:35 am)ignoramus Wrote: Infinite regress just forces the special pleading fallacy ... and it's goes downhill from there... hehe

Please explain... how does infinite regress force special pleading?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5189 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My Almighty VS your argument against it Won2blv 43 3746 May 5, 2022 at 9:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6100 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1711 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  My argument for atheism + Tom Fearnley 166 19229 April 20, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 3928 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1251 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23176 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27084 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8086 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears