Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The wounded and the dead
The wounded and the dead
It's a cliche that the wounded in wars far outweigh the dead. (unless you nuke a city)

Australia has had 11 men killed in Afghanistan.The wounded have rarely been mention except almost casually,from-time-to-time. I guess that like a lot of people ,I just didn't think about it. Absence of evidence I guess.

Today the Week End Australian has reported that 83 Australians have been wounded in Afghanistan since 2005.Some gravely (loss of limbs,that kind of thing) It seems that some of the soldiers are in public hospitals under false names to protect their privacy.

My immediate response is "BULL-FUCKING-SHIT!" It's a classic case of government humbuggery. They do not want the public to know those figures. It might turn even more of us against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I occurred to me [hard as it may be to believe] that I may have over reacted a smidge. We'll see what happens during the coming week.I expect a shit storm.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/sto...01,00.html

The mind boggles at what the figures of US wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan might be.
RE: The wounded and the dead
Too many... however many the figure totals: it will be too many Undecided
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'm sure it'll "just be statistics" to many people when they hear it.
(September 25, 2009 at 8:17 pm)padraic Wrote: The mind boggles at what the figures of US wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan might be.

Start with this:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/o...alties.htm
Has not the government of Austraillia always been quite "protective" in their words (censoring the shit out of everything).

It does not suprise me that they under-exadurate their casualties, and lie about it, in fact i expect it from them.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

(September 28, 2009 at 12:55 am)theblindferrengi Wrote: Has not the government of Austraillia always been quite "protective" in their words (censoring the shit out of everything).

It does not suprise me that they under-exadurate their casualties, and lie about it, in fact i expect it from them.

Compared with whom?
All the major governments lie to their people about stuff, but does Austraillia not have things like a nation-wide internet filter, heavy gun control, compulsory voting?

I may be wrong, and if so please correct me, but theese things are not as bad it seems in places like the US, or UK.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

"The death of one is tragedy, the death of millions is just a statistic" - Marilyn Manson "The Fight Song"
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
To add to that, Eilonnwy:

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
The death of a million... is a million times more tragic than the death of one Undecided
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shooting in Colorado leaves 12 dead, 58 wounded. Creed of Heresy 64 22662 August 14, 2012 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused