Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is infertility hereditary?
Is infertility hereditary?
Can infertility be carried from parent to offspring? If my parents never had kids, would that mean I couldn't either?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Is infertility hereditary?
Facepalm

groan
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I would ask my mom or dad, but they both died before I was born.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(July 30, 2013 at 1:00 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Can infertility be carried from parent to offspring? If my parents never had kids, would that mean I couldn't either?

Anyone who sired offspring capable of this degree of lameness can't be said to have been fertile.

Angel
Hehe, it's a tricky one. I think if your parents were infertile you will not inherit anything from them. So I'm going with No.
(July 30, 2013 at 1:00 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Can infertility be carried from parent to offspring?

If my parents never had kids, would that mean I couldn't either?

1. I'd say yes. If you we're the result of ivf, then you'd quite possibly be cheating natural selection which was trying to prevent your existence

2. Yes :p
Fr0ds got it right, this time! Wink
Then again, you have some cases where an individual's infertility is not due to genetics, but environmental factors... In this case, no, the offspring should inherit the problem, unless it is subject to the same environmental events.
You mean it wasn't the stork?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
People do use this argument for CPD, cephalopelvic disproportion, aka pelvis too small to pass a baby. Really... C-sections weren't routinely survivable for the mother until the early-mid 20th century. In developed countries the main causes of CPD? Rickets and broken pelvises, which lead to misshapen pelvises... Totally genetic.
Funnily enough, on my mother's side of the family most of the men are infertile or just have a very low sperm count.