Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolutionary Timeline
Evolutionary Timeline
I saw a documentary about dinosaurs recently and its said that if you look at the time line of dinosaurs and human beings:

A --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------B--C
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|--|

Assuming point C is present day, the history of dinosaurs and their evolution stretches all the way back to point A which is huge contrast to human history that only stretches back to point B. With such a massive contrast in scientific evolution, I am left wondering why christians think so highly of human kind, that man was made by god and that the creation of earth took a mere 7 days.

I am aware of the debates on the supposed "creation week" but the bible does mention "mornings" and "evenings".

Genesis Wrote:3And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6And God said, “Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water.” 7So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. 8God called the expanse “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

And so on...
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
RE: Evolutionary Timeline
Christianity deals with human spirituality. Why would it concern itself with dinosaurs??

Oh wait, I get it - you think the bible is a science book ...right, I remember now.

ROFLOL
Sorry to burst your bubble fr0d0, but not all Christians agree with you.

There is a such thing as Creationism. And a such people as creationists who, indeed, are laughably concerned with dinosaurs.

EvF
I did a little research and although the word "dinosaur" isn't specifically mentioned in the bible, Christians do claim it's mention numerous times. I though Christians are supposed to be uniformed? That should especially include the understanding of the bible, should it not?

No, I don't think of the bible as a 'science book'.. It is factless. My point is, the earth has been around millions of years before humans even started to evolve, yet Christians are ready to believe god created man and the entire world in 7 days? Lol
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
You prefer to believe the literalist nonsense Retorth. What can I say? Dealing with the actual logic is a lost cause for you, so I quite understand why you'd do that.

@ Evie: Yeah sure some Christians believe evolution is false. As explained on these boards, and by atheists too, this thinking is misguided. So their understanding is mistaken in our opinion. You must address their misunderstanding with them and not wrongly claim this to be correct & universally Christian thought when it clearly is not.
What literalist nonsense? I'm listening to science. :S
(September 27, 2009 at 3:45 am)Retorth Wrote: What literalist nonsense?

Retorth Wrote:Christians do claim it's (dinosaur) mention numerous times.

yet Christians are ready to believe god created man and the entire world in 7 days? Lol
Yeah its claimed to be in the bible but I'm not stating that it is or isn't. The bible itself has always been unreliable. Smile

I just find it, as you so kindly quoted me on, uncanny that christians so readily believe god created man and the world in just 7 days.
Well I agree with you Re. I think those Christians are seriously misguided, and I think you'll find that their view is rare and disputed.

It specifically isn't claimed in the bible unless you foolishly read it literally. Again, do you believe this is the right way to understand it... srsly??
(September 27, 2009 at 4:28 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Well I agree with you Re. I think those Christians are seriously misguided, and I think you'll find that their view is rare and disputed.

It specifically isn't claimed in the bible unless you foolishly read it literally. Again, do you believe this is the right way to understand it... srsly??

Well there is mention of Dragons, Satyrs, Fiery Dragons and Unicorns to name a few. However, I agree with you, my brother fr0d0, that some of these christians are seriously misguided.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolutionary explanation of religion cyber_freddy 33 2674 December 25, 2020 at 6:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Lightbulb Evolutionary Theories of Religion rainmac 44 7949 August 5, 2015 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  The New Jesus Timeline DeistPaladin 82 26454 August 27, 2012 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pharyngula: God's Timeline Kyuuketsuki 12 3181 April 23, 2009 at 7:24 am
Last Post: athoughtfulman