Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolutionary explanation of religion
Evolutionary explanation of religion
Moderator Notice
Post deleted.

Quote:
  1. Advertisements in posts are not allowed without prior staff approval. If you would like permission to advertise, please contact staff using the Questions for Staff subforum. 

Please note that this rule also applies to people conducting research, surveys, or asking for members to sign petitions or join causes.
RE: Evolutionary explanation of religion
In before the delete : D
(November 23, 2020 at 3:14 pm)Lawz Wrote: In before the delete : D

Well done you. Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Evolutionary need for written language?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Not religion per se but belief in god has been theorized (and supported by some research) as having evolutionary basis. It basically has been theorized as a (useful) byproduct of our brain's ability to see patterns in nature, the ability to see something from others' point of view (theory of mind or empathy––giving rise to seeing intent in natural phenomenon), and passing on knowledge to next generations.
(November 23, 2020 at 6:55 pm)Apollo Wrote: Not religion per se but belief in god has been theorized (and supported by some research) as having evolutionary basis.  It basically has been theorized as a (useful) byproduct of our brain's ability to see patterns in nature, the ability to see something from others' point of view (theory of mind or empathy––giving rise to seeing intent in natural phenomenon), and passing on knowledge to next generations.

I suspect that’s largely the case. It wouldn’t take much for Oog to notice that it generally got cloudy before a thunderstorm, and - for him - a reasonable explanation would have been that Great Cloud Pusher was angry about something.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Probably not. We were religious and had rituals and ritual beliefs for many (many many many many many) thousands of years before anyone came up with the silly man in the sky shit - which would have seemed even sillier to people with those strong religious beliefs. A bit like they're all convinced to this very day that the rest of them sound silly.

Theism and theistic religion is very uniquely and very distinctly a product of the late neolithic and early bronze related to the organization of nascent societies with needs that exceed (and evade) the tight and tacitly accepted bonds and rules of the extended family unit.

TDR version is that it would have sounded ridiculous that a man ran shit in the sky when men didn't run shit on the ground yet. It's only after that point that we see any indication of such beliefs.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Thulsa Doom had it right!
(November 23, 2020 at 8:16 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Probably not. We were religious and had rituals and ritual beliefs for many (many many many many many) thousands of years before anyone came up with the silly man in the sky shit - which would have seemed even sillier to people with those strong religious beliefs. A bit like they're all convinced to this very day that the rest of them sound silly.

Theism and theistic religion is very uniquely and very distinctly a product of the late neolithic and early bronze related to the organization of nascent societies with needs that exceed (and evade) the tight and tacitly accepted bonds and rules of the extended family unit.

TDR version is that it would have sounded ridiculous that a man ran shit in the sky when men didn't run shit on the ground yet. It's only after that point that we see any indication of such beliefs.

The silly man in the sky is a pretty recent phenomenon— ~6 thousands years or so— Polytheism is older than monotheism.

The evolutionary concept of god is more about some supernatural power with intent. This goes back to early onset of cognitive revolution some 70 thousands years ago.

Rituals in itself don’t have to be religious in nature—they are a way to accomplish various group/tribal goals like signal conformance and trust and transmission of knowledge from generation to another. The religious rituals most probably started through concept of afterlife where early homo sapiens didn’t quite grasp death and thought of survival of the living beings once body is dead.
Everything has an evolutionary basis. The question is how to meaningfully separate out explanations that highlight salient points. Saying it evolved can be applied to anything human.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Explanation Required by the 12 guys? + the secret. Ferrocyanide 26 1758 December 20, 2021 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2797 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10699 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4894 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19761 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Lightbulb Evolutionary Theories of Religion rainmac 44 7946 August 5, 2015 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49207 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Possible explanation of supernatural religious visitations BlackMason 15 4216 May 13, 2014 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  A rational explanation for hell? Ace Otana 265 117343 January 26, 2014 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - thunderhulk 30 7853 December 16, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72