Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raif Badawi sentenced to 7 years jail and 600 lashes
Raif Badawi sentenced to 7 years jail and 600 lashes
Quote:Raif Badawi (born c. 1982[1], name also transcribed as Raef Badawi[2]) is a Saudi Arabian blogger and the creator of the website Free Saudi Liberals. On 17 June 2012, he was arrested on a charge of insulting Islam through electronic channels,[1] and in December of that year was also cited for apostasy, a conviction for which carries an automatic death sentence.[3][4] Human Rights Watch stated that Badawi's website had hosted material criticizing "senior religious figures".[4]

I followed news arround this man for quite some time, you cant halp but admire a person who tries to start a debate on the seperation of religion and state in a country where the quoran is the constitution and the death penalty is usual for people critical of islam.

A court in Saudi Arabia declared him to be a "unbeliever" sentenced him to 7 years prison and 600 lashes (death penalty was not given due to international pressure) and ordered the site "Free Saudi Liberals" to be shut down.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...bsite.html
RE: Raif Badawi sentenced to 7 years jail and 600 lashes
Isn't it a real possibility that the 600 lashes will result in a death sentence anyway?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(July 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm)Tonus Wrote: Isn't it a real possibility that the 600 lashes will result in a death sentence anyway?

I could imagine that in a country in which they dont give a fuck about treating the wounds. If you get that punishment in Iran or Pakistan and you are then thrown back into a cell filled with feces and subjected to the brutality of such a third world prison - I am sure you will die.

Maybe the Saudis could have medics present. At least they have the money for that. But it wouldn`t make it any less barbaric.

And if wiping someones back will result in that persons death, the practice would have probably not been used in such an excessive way for keeping slaves in line and for punishing soldiers up until the early 20th century
And they wonder why we think they are barbarians.
600 lashes is really something. To be administered all at once or incrementally? I do think that you can die from 600 lashes. From excessive bleeding and infection, stress on the cardiac system and respiratory system ... a lot can go wrong. There's also the possibility of being killed for his apostasy in prison, what reward does killing an apostate gets you again?
Probably 73 virgins.
(July 31, 2013 at 12:27 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: 600 lashes is really something. To be administered all at once or incrementally? I do think that you can die from 600 lashes. From excessive bleeding and infection, stress on the cardiac system and respiratory system ... a lot can go wrong. There's also the possibility of being killed for his apostasy in prison, what reward does killing an apostate gets you again?

Yeah a fragile, nerdy dude who spends half his day infront of a pc.... wont last long.

I was told that no matter what crime you were found guilty of and no matter what punishment you were sentenced to serve in a Saudi prison.

If you completly memorise the quoran you get a pardon.

So if you kill a non believer in prison, I am sure that this kind of barbaric society will hold that murderer in high regard.
I can't imagine how anyone would survive 600 lashes, if they are being delivered on a single occasion. I am thinking that the only thing a medical person could do is verify that the person was dead, and try to identify which internal organs remained intact, if any.

Who came up with these punishments, Mel Gibson?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
It's just as barbaric as the Iranian death sentence of pushing over a brick wall onto someone.

The only difference I see between these Muslims and Christians here in the U.S. is that the Christians are prohibited by law from doing this. I guarantee you if they established the Christian theocracy they want then this sort of thing would be happening here.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I remember hearing once that a human passes out by the tenth(or some such relatively low number) lash.

If they give them all at once, that 600th lash will be like flogging warm sausage, and would most certainly end in death.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iran dancing couple given 10-year jail sentence zebo-the-fat 11 1828 February 19, 2023 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Sudan ends 30 years of Islamic Law Foxaèr 34 6022 September 9, 2020 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Sal
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quranic manuscripts from 1400 years WinterHold 44 6793 December 24, 2019 at 9:18 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Pakistani academic Junaid Hafeez has just been sentenced to death on blasphemy charge Fake Messiah 2 779 December 22, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  10 years 10 months imprsionment for FB post yragnitup 8 747 March 14, 2019 at 2:44 am
Last Post: viocjit
  In 50 years, Islam may be the world's largest religion, according to Pew Alexmahone 2 674 June 25, 2018 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A poem of Salah I wrote back some years ago: Mystic 3 2554 April 4, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  360 Lashes in Saudi for OAP Fidel_Castronaut 43 8387 October 24, 2015 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Saudi court upholds blogger's 10 years and 1,000 lashes zebo-the-fat 17 4230 June 9, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Saudi Preacher Spared Jail after Raping and Murdering 5 y/o Daughter Fidel_Castronaut 86 13815 January 29, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Tonus