Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
360 Lashes in Saudi for OAP
360 Lashes in Saudi for OAP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34513096

What was his crime? A rape? A murder?

No, his crime was that he was caught by religious police with a bottle of home made wine in his car.

Remember, Saudi Arabia has recently been appointed to serve on the UN Human Rights Council.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: 360 Lashes in Saudi for OAP
It's hard to find words for this....

Irrational beliefs fuck up morality.

I find myself saying this a lot lately: if God/Allah/Jesus/whoever has a problem with something, leave them to sort it out themselves. Every time you act on their behalf, you're contradicting your belief that they are actually real and have any power.

There's no way they can have anything meaningful to say about human rights from our perspective. Until they outgrow this religious extremism, they will be forever stuck in the dark ages it seems.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Just last sunday I saw a pretty well made documentary series on Islam and it's development on tv. It was almost entirely made by speaking with moderate muslim intellectuals, covered the history, how it spread and how it changed over the centuries in different regions. And they all agreed on Wahhabism being the main reason of why it doesn't move on. Because of the political influence the Saudis hold in the world.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
And afterwards the Saudi authorities drank the alcohol themselves. Just assuming - because the Saudi establishment is full of hypocrites. The people that allowed Saudi onto the human rights council need their heads examined.

The Saudis need to be isolated and the world needs to move on from their resources. Oil won't get us anywhere in the next 50 years or so.

It sickens me that an organisation like ISIS can be (rightly) detested and fought against as a disease in the world, but the Saudis (who are pretty much exactly the same) can be welcomed into the UN.

It boggles the mind, and I think people in the west specifically are starting to wake up to that realisation.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(October 13, 2015 at 5:18 am)robvalue Wrote: It's hard to find words for this....

Irrational beliefs fuck up morality.

I find myself saying this a lot lately: if God/Allah/Jesus/whoever has a problem with something, leave them to sort it out themselves. Every time you act on their behalf, you're contradicting your belief that they are actually real and have any power.

There's no way they can have anything meaningful to say about human rights from our perspective. Until they outgrow this religious extremism, they will be forever stuck in the dark ages it seems.
For some reason, religitards remind me of oompa loompas!  Crazy motherfuckers!

No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I've been thinking about how imbalances in society are difficult to move away from.

When you have a society where the religious people have all the power, or the men have all the power, at the expense of the remainder of the population, it's not easily remedied. It seems to be human nature to hold onto whatever advantage you have, and making a choice to give that advantage away is not one people make easily. And because those in power have the power... they are the ones who keep things the way they are. For that powerful group to get together and say, "Hey, we should be less powerful, this isn't fair" seems to be a whole lot to expect when viewed this way. But ultimately, that is what is needed.

It takes some massive event for things like this to change; like I was learning recently about how the first world war ended up being a turning point for women's rights in England.

I've come to the conclusion that the majority of people will go with the flow. If they grow up in a society where men and women are pretty much equal, and most people support that, then they'll say "Fair enough". They may even convince themselves that this is so obvious that they would have stood up to it being any other way. But if they had been born into a society where women were deemed inferior, and most people supported that, they would probably have said, "Fair enough". It takes a strong mind and will to stand up to what society is doing in general and say, "No, this is wrong." In some ways, societies simply wouldn't work if most people didn't have this go with the flow attitude, because everyone would constantly be clashing with everyone else and society as a whole.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 13, 2015 at 5:38 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: The people that allowed Saudi onto the human rights council need their heads examined.

Like these guys?

Quote:Britain conducted secret vote-trading deals with Saudi Arabia to ensure both states were elected to the UN human rights council (UNHRC), according to leaked diplomatic cables.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/...ncil-place

I sincerely hope there's no truth to this.
(October 13, 2015 at 8:17 am)Cato Wrote:
(October 13, 2015 at 5:38 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: The people that allowed Saudi onto the human rights council need their heads examined.

Like these guys?

Quote:Britain conducted secret vote-trading deals with Saudi Arabia to ensure both states were elected to the UN human rights council (UNHRC), according to leaked diplomatic cables.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/...ncil-place

I sincerely hope there's no truth to this.

Of course it's true. They are our steadfast and noble allies. We must look after each other.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(October 13, 2015 at 5:38 am)Pandæmonium Wrote: The Saudis need to be isolated and the world needs to move on from their resources. Oil won't get us anywhere in the next 50 years or so.

It sickens me that an organisation like ISIS can be (rightly) detested and fought against as a disease in the world, but the Saudis (who are pretty much exactly the same) can be welcomed into the UN.

It boggles the mind, and I think people in the west specifically are starting to wake up to that realisation.

People tend to wake up as the social, economic and political conjecture/structure gets worse. It is already happening.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saudi Arabia executes 81 human beings in one day. Jehanne 56 7207 March 24, 2022 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Some Music History For Saudi Stooges ReptilianPeon 0 382 September 25, 2018 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  BREAKING: Cold War-era Wahhabism used as tool against Soviets. Saudi Arabia Admits WinterHold 23 4304 September 14, 2018 at 5:29 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Saudi Arabia: Snapchat and the Wahhabi defeat WinterHold 10 3321 March 16, 2018 at 8:26 pm
  Saudi Arabia: a story of pure darkness WinterHold 18 4541 December 12, 2017 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Saudi cleric says women too stupid to drive zebo-the-fat 38 7024 September 30, 2017 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Women allowed to dive in Saudi Arabia; more talk WinterHold 2 1276 September 28, 2017 at 2:50 am
  Saudi Arabia Law lugal ki en 17 2733 September 28, 2016 at 3:21 am
Last Post: lugal ki en
  Did you know why king Faisal of Saudi was killed 1975? ReptilianPeon 4 2135 March 5, 2016 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Saudi Arabia finds new god GUBU 17 3149 February 13, 2016 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet