Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genesis 2 - Is God a Goofball?
Genesis 2 - Is God a Goofball?
Genesis 2
18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
19 And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

God: So you don't like the Tyranosaurus? How abouth the sloth?
Adam: I don't see how they would be helpful at all.
God: Well how about the giant Squid?
Adam: You have to be joking!
God: Hyuk! Hyuk! No, I am doing the best I can do.
Adam, Like the vampire bat and the porkypine? Or the giant salamander or
the walrus?
God: Hyuk! Hyuk! Remember, I have never done this before.
Are you sure you don't like the platypus or the mammoth?
Take another look at the plesiosaurs. I put quite a bit of effort in that.
Adam: Look, I appreciate the effort, but this is just a waste of both of our time.
can we break for lunch?

When you think about this silly myth, it paints God as an incompetent, bumbling idiot. Really, how can anybody read this part of Genesis and not see that immediately, the creator of this myth obviously did not think of God as being very smart and so created an oriental story teller's tall tale that plays turns on God's ignorance.

This seems to me to work well as an argument on those simple creationist souls that want me to take Genesis seriously. or maybe not most so far have simply dealt with it by running away.

How can any intelligent person read this and take Genesis seriously?

Cheerful Charlie
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain
RE: Genesis 2 - Is God a Goofball?
Quote:How can any intelligent person read this and take Genesis seriously?

People who are illiterate do not even take Genesis seriously.
They don't.

The New Testament, OTOH...
God is not a goofball. God is a literary creation of the goofballs who wrote the story.
Reminds me of an old joke (most things remind me of old jokes:

God informs Adam that He is going to make him a wife.

'Why, that's VERY thoughtful of you, God!' says Adam. 'Erm...what's a wife?'

'For you,' answers God, 'a wife is a help. She will assist you in all your labours, bear your childen, pick up after you, prepare your meals, and so on. In short, she will be a servant - obedient, quiet, and expected to cater to your every whim.'

'Outstanding!' cheers Adam. 'What'll this cost me?'

'Not so much. Just both feet, your thumbs, and your left eye.'

'Wow, that's kind of pricey. What, can I get for, say, a rib?'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Genesis 26:8 Fake Messiah 20 2425 January 22, 2019 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Christian genesis notimportant1234 45 16118 October 16, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19398 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Creationist offers $10,000 to anyone willing to challenge literal interpretation of Genesis in court JesusHChrist 46 23052 April 11, 2013 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Garuda
  If Genesis is BS, what DID happen? Rokcet Scientist 62 17628 December 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Genesis scientifically analysed Rokcet Scientist 0 1132 December 17, 2011 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Dutch reformatorists summit meeting concerning Genesis. leo-rcc 4 2206 December 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: fr0d0