Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If Genesis is BS, what DID happen?
If Genesis is BS, what DID happen?
Ah, you say the 'Big Bang' started it all? Well, that's what we think, don't we?
The problem is though: there probably never was a Big Bang... So what DID happen? How WAS the universe created?

Check out (download) this video from the BBC: "Horizon - What Happened Before the Big Bang" (watch it: big file, 212MB) and see what you think.
RE: If Genesis is BS, what DID happen?
I wasn't aware that we'd gone from "BB Cosmology is currently the most accepted theory of the early origins of our universe, which seems to match the evidence we have, has made predictions that have been borne out, and has made claims that could be falsified but currently have not been" to " The BB probably never happened."

That being said, there is no "if", Genesis is garbage. We needn't invoke our lack of complete knowledge about the early universe to state it so certainly and so plainly. Gensis does not end with "let there be light", it goes on to give an "early history of man" which can be very easily demonstrated to be complete and utter garbage. If the BB model were completely incorrect, there would still be no reason to even consider Genesis as an alternative, and there is no obligation to continual reassess a theory that has been discredited when it's claims have not changed. The universe ultimately came from -we don't know-. The observable universe which we exist in appears to have come from an event which has been called "The Big Bang".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 22, 2011 at 10:09 am)Rhythm Wrote: I wasn't aware that we'd gone from "BB Cosmology is currently the most accepted theory of the early origins of our universe, which seems to match the evidence we have, has made predictions that have been borne out, and has made claims that could be falsified but currently have not been" to " The BB probably never happened."

That's why I posted it, bro! To bring you up to speed. Time changes perspective, you see. Nothing is forever. Even dogmas evolve. The Big Bang theory is sooo 20th century!

Big Grin
That's fine, if we've dustbinned BB Cosmology I'd like to see something a little more official than a BBC program. That would be like claiming that "Ghost Hunters" had finally closed the book and provided credible evidence for the existence of ghosts.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 22, 2011 at 10:18 am)Rhythm Wrote: I'd like to see something a little more official than a BBC program.

LOL! "More official than a BBC program"? You mean something like the president of the United States stating that Iraq had WMDs...? Big Grin
No, something more to the tune of a widely accepted, peer reviewed paper describing a series of experiments that were carried out which falsified a good deal of the BB Model. Made predictions about their alternatives/explanations, and could be falsified.
(December 22, 2011 at 10:23 am)Rhythm Wrote: No, something more to the tune of a widely accepted, peer reviewed paper describing a series of experiments that were carried out which falsified a good deal of the BB Model. Made predictions about their alternatives/explanations, and could be falsified.

Well, I think you had better start by watching that video instead of jumping to conclusions without having seen it, especially since it's all new to you by your own admission, and learn to walk before you can run.
Just read the synopsis, Penrose and Kaku aren't completely new to me (just to use some of the higher profile examples in the video), nor are they new to science. There are many theories regarding the origins of our universe, including theirs. The BB Model has already been placed against these theories, and remains our best explanation. Not to say that there aren't gaps or issues. That's expected. I'm not trying to give you shit man, I just read the OP and expected something cutting edge and mind-blowing...lol. This feels like approaching the hotty at the end of the bar only to find out "she's" swinging richard.....

Speaking of Kaku, he's been all the rage on our programming recently as well. Ever since he was in "What the Bleep" he become a sort of celebrity scientist here in the States. If I'm not mistaken he was part of the group of individuals that gave the "Ramtha" squad so much shit for creatively editing their interviews. He came out of the whole thing pretty well though. I appreciate these sorts of programs immensely, I really do. Oftentimes it's legitimate science that's being discussed, popularized, put out there to engage the public. One has to remember that there is still an element of entertainment to them. The building up of drama. It's television ffs.
Let's all agree that 'genesis' is shit and go from there.
Yeah I can go with that. I'm not married to BB or anything. Just cautious. Slow to judge, slow to make claims, slow to abandon productive areas of research. It may be these folks are absolutely on to something, and that some discovery in the near or distant future will revolutionize our understanding of the cosmos. At this point they've got a good hypothesis to work with. More work and more collaboration and we may have witnessed the birth of a real competitor to BB in our lifetimes. That would be pretty awesome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Genesis 26:8 Fake Messiah 20 2355 January 22, 2019 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Christian genesis notimportant1234 45 15921 October 16, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4427 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Here's what can happen to an atheist in a Muslim country drfuzzy 12 2200 February 13, 2016 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Genesis 2 - Is God a Goofball? Cheerful Charlie 4 1642 August 8, 2013 at 5:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Creationist offers $10,000 to anyone willing to challenge literal interpretation of Genesis in court JesusHChrist 46 22873 April 11, 2013 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Garuda
  Genesis scientifically analysed Rokcet Scientist 0 1123 December 17, 2011 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  What do you think will happen to Religion if Extra Terrestrial Life were discovered? superstarr 51 11466 July 18, 2010 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: darkwolf176
  Dutch reformatorists summit meeting concerning Genesis. leo-rcc 4 2182 December 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: fr0d0