Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That emotional appeal fallacy
That emotional appeal fallacy
Every time I mention it, I feel as though I have become a Dalek.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: That emotional appeal fallacy
WUT??
Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate ....

Tiger
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
(August 10, 2013 at 11:43 am)FifthElement Wrote: Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate ....

I have no problem with that creed, so long as the targets are theists.
~ Erin Hunter
(August 10, 2013 at 4:28 am)Maelstrom Wrote: Every time I mention it, I feel as though I have become a Dalek.

How so?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm)Faith No More Wrote: How so?

I know it is illogical, and I am in no way swayed by or affected by the opposition's viewpoint, but most people who place emphasis on emotions probably consider me heartless for relying upon reason above feelings.
~ Erin Hunter
Maelstrom Wrote:I know it is illogical, and I am in no way swayed by or affected by the opposition's viewpoint, but most people who place emphasis on emotions probably consider me heartless for relying upon reason above feelings.

I see...I feel the same way, except I don't feel like a dalek, because it isn't a matter of lacking emotions. It is understanding when emotions can be useful and when they impede our path to the truth. It should make you feel more like Spock.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 10, 2013 at 12:46 pm)Faith No More Wrote: It should make you feel more like Spock.

That is indeed a much better analogy.
~ Erin Hunter
Nah, Maelstrom, You are more of a Yoda.
(August 10, 2013 at 12:35 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: I know it is illogical, and I am in no way swayed by or affected by the opposition's viewpoint, but most people who place emphasis on emotions probably consider me heartless for relying upon reason above feelings.

If it makes you feel any better, theists will usually flip between that accusation of ivory tower objectivism and one of being angry with god, so... I dunno, maybe don't take them seriously until they figure out which atheists are. Tongue

Also, Daleks are pimp.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 961 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
Bug What is this? Name that fallacy zwanzig 25 2254 October 15, 2021 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3487 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet