Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeology Lab
Archaeology Lab
http://io9.com/5940252/introducing-migal...cheologist

Quote:A three-year-old female black labrador cross named Migaloo has become the world's first trained archeology dog. Working with Brisbane dog expert Gary Jackson, she is expected to help archeologists uncover ancient grave sites across Australia. And looking to the future, it's expected that Migaloo and other archeology dogs will work on excavations at ancient civilisation sites in Egypt, the Americas, Asia, and Europe.
RE: Archaeology Lab
Not what came to mind when I read the words Archaeology Lab, but very cool.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Does put a whole new spin on "where's the bone, girl?"
My dog would just gnaw it some before reburying it.

Novel idea.
Most ancient Roman ruins found here, where found through aerial observation. Pictures taken from planes are used to determine urban structures burried underground.

Alot of Villas, camps and towns were found this way.
They've had excellent success with that technique in the jungles of Central America and the deserts of Arabia, TGAC. Recently they have gone to satellite imagery. It's been successfully used in Egypt to identify buried structures.
Aerial photography is practically useless in jungle areas because the trees cover everything up, but I remember reading about successes using satellite imagery in central America several years ago. The oldest references I found with a quick Google were about 10 years ago. I thought it was longer ago than that but CRS could be a contributing factor there.
(August 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: Aerial photography is practically useless in jungle areas because the trees cover everything up, but I remember reading about successes using satellite imagery in central America several years ago. The oldest references I found with a quick Google were about 10 years ago. I thought it was longer ago than that but CRS could be a contributing factor there.

Radar, ground-penetrating radar.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(August 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm)Chas Wrote:
(August 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: Aerial photography is practically useless in jungle areas because the trees cover everything up, but I remember reading about successes using satellite imagery in central America several years ago. The oldest references I found with a quick Google were about 10 years ago. I thought it was longer ago than that but CRS could be a contributing factor there.

Radar, ground-penetrating radar.

Interferometric synthetic aperture radar
InSAR is primarily useful for detecting small movements of ground surface over time. I am not sure how it would be useful for jungle archeology unless buried archeological structure is causing ongoing subsidence.

I recall some recent Central American archeological discovery were made using infrared aerial photography, the discovery was based on the fact foliage of different jungle plants look different in infrared, and jungle that regrew over large archeological sites would contain different mix of plants than primitive jungle even after several hundred years.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Florentine Archaeology Minimalist 7 1626 October 21, 2015 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Archaeology...Sorry No Indiana Jones Shit. Minimalist 6 2104 August 11, 2014 at 3:53 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Why Archaeology Cannot Be Left To Jesus Freak Shitheads..... Minimalist 12 4397 March 28, 2014 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Archaeology at Khirbet Qeiyafa Minimalist 8 4119 January 2, 2013 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Archaeology Sticks It Up The Bible's Ass Again Minimalist 41 15285 October 3, 2012 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Best Kind of Archaeology Minimalist 10 2838 July 4, 2011 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Epimethean