Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Not praying in schools is a promotion of atheism!" - An actual human being.
"Not praying in schools is a promotion of atheism!" - An actual human being.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...f-atheism/

So, a genuine person, in possession of a real human brain, actually said these words, in relation to why we shouldn't allow atheist chaplains in the military; that would make atheism a religion, which would make the absence of prayer in schools a promotion of atheism.

Can you smell the desperation, people?

But let's just parse the logic, for a second: if not praying is an atheist promotion, and praying is a christian one... what activities can actually happen? If you can't pray, and you can't not pray, then the only possible way to avoid the government respecting an established religion would be to have no schools. And, taking the idea to its logical conclusion, no government either, because anything that happens within an official context would therefore be unconstitutional.

Isn't the fact that we never see an atheist in the public sphere saying things quite this stupid and reaching kind of a hint as to who's right, at this point? Fucking A...
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
RE: "Not praying in schools is a promotion of atheism!" - An actual human being.
(August 29, 2013 at 10:14 am)Esquilax Wrote: a genuine person, in possession of a real human brain

Debatable.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: "Not praying in schools is a promotion of atheism!" - An actual human being.
I never said a fully functioning brain. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I riot. Can't keep my mouth shut.

My son came home from kindergarten one day with a concerned look in his face. I asked and he said his teacher told the class that the world was going to end, so they better pray and be good. She heard it from me the next day. So did the principle.

This month I had an interesting experience at work. Two Christian co-workers that go to the same church invited 7 of our substance abuse young adult clients to church. They don't call it a religion, so they said, "Come with us to an event where they will talk about drugs, divorce, violence, etc."The clients thought it was on behalf of our clinic and said yes. The probation officers said yes. The parents said yes. So everyone went to this so called event for three days. One of the clients told me and I ... I riot a lot.

I care about these two co-workers so instead of taking it to management I went to them. I explained that they crossed boundaries and violated the privacy regulations. They did not understand. I explained that in order to invite them they needed their personal information which they obtained from the clinic and that means it must only be used for treatment services. Nope... Nothing. I explained that this seems like two people using their position of influence to convince clients to attend church. Nada. I said, "If I invited your kids through the clinic to an atheist meeting (meetup) what would you say?" They said it wouldn't help while church can help. Fuck.

So... They went around telling clients that they think I want to get them fired so if I ask anything they should speak well of them. Double fuck. I was being considerate. Anyway... A client got mad at this and told on them. They got a miserable write up. I asked them if we couls stop mixing religion at work and they said I should stop mixing my atheist beliefs, too.

Fuck the world. I'm tired.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Why are atheists always surprised when religious shitheads act like shitheads?

You should expect it by now, dear.
Yeah, one of the reasons I cannot work with my fellow mentally ill folks is that the religious always follow em around - whether amongst them or at preaching distance. In the hospitals, at the outpatient programs, everywhere.
I agree, minimalist. With everything up until "dear". Lol That word... I'm its enemy. But I do agree.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
I've been married for 43 years. Every sentence ends with ", dear." Just a habit.
I think the most important thing to point out in cases like this is that there is no ban on school prayer. The so called ban on school prayer just eliminated school-led prayer. You can pray as much as you like in schools, you just can't force someone else to. Only Christians can pretend that they are persecuted because they are no longer allowed to force other people to pray.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Esquilax, the link doesn't work for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4964 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Supreme Court Rules Taxpayers Must Fund Religious Schools Duty 17 1536 July 2, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  God in schools Figbash 51 4054 October 5, 2018 at 6:23 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6636 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? PhilosophicalZebra 143 27076 December 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8782 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4474 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Being a sinner just for being born mlmooney89 110 15534 June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9163 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins