Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have anyone else managed to read the whole Quran
Have anyone else managed to read the whole Quran
I have read 5 of the quran now, but it sure nags a lot about being a believer, and hellfire etc... I mean the bible wasn't that naggy about it in my opinion. What do you think?
RE: Have anyone else managed to read the whole Quran
I'd say the NT is the same type of shit.

I've tried to read it several times but always get stymied by the twin barricades of barbaric philosophy and shitty poetry. I'm sure it reads better in Arabic - or Syriac, its original language as Robert Spencer has pointed out - but I'll be damned if I'm going to learn another language just to read it.

I doubt if the translations could be that far off.
You've read 5. Five...translations? Christ, I have attempted two and gave up for essentially the same reasons as Minimalist. It's an exercise in masochism.

What's your angle, Moira? Curiosity, love of learning, contemplating converting, etc?
Basically knowledge.
I have read the bible once, so decided to read the quran to know more about it.
Wish i could read it in a book instead of a site though, but i don't wish to buy it Tongue

(September 23, 2013 at 2:31 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: You've read 5. Five...translations? Christ, I have attempted two and gave up for essentially the same reasons as Minimalist. It's an exercise in masochism.

What's your angle, Moira? Curiosity, love of learning, contemplating converting, etc?
Well, I guess folklore and popular myth can be construed as knowledge. I admire your high threshold for stupid.
(September 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Well, I guess folklore and popular myth can be construed as knowledge. I admire your high threshold for stupid.

Oh don't get me wrong, i don't say it is true. Reading stuff like this can be useful to coming to an conclusion to ones belief. That's how i came to be a nonbeliever Tongue
Edit: And reading a couple of other useful books also helps aswell... and a lot of thinking Big Grin
(September 23, 2013 at 4:14 pm)Moira Wrote:
(September 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Well, I guess folklore and popular myth can be construed as knowledge. I admire your high threshold for stupid.

Oh don't get me wrong, i don't say it is true. Reading stuff like this can be useful to coming to an conclusion to ones belief. That's how i came to be a nonbeliever Tongue
Edit: And reading a couple of other useful books also helps aswell... and a lot of thinking Big Grin

Clap
(September 23, 2013 at 12:46 pm)Moira Wrote: I have read 5 of the quran now, but it sure nags a lot about being a believer, and hellfire etc... I mean the bible wasn't that naggy about it in my opinion. What do you think?

I have indeed read the Quran, line by line, all of it, more than once. Full of mere assertions, hellfire and damnation, silly tall tales (Alexander the Great travels to the ends of the Earth to see the sun set in a mud puddle). Useful information, such as how to deal with a female captive you desire. Important information, such as how comets were created to chase eavesdropping djinn from Allah's throne. Bezerko
tall tales of Gog and Magog. Evil verses, slay the idolaters, conquer and humiliate the peoples of the book.

This book is an intellectual desert. Mohammed was an ignorant fraud.

Really, to read this book carefully is necessary to really despise the Quran as it deserves to be despised.

The few verses that are reasonable, such as there is no compulsion in religion are widely ignored in Islamic nations.

Cheerful Charlie
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain
I have read and i believe in it.
i encourage anyone to read it all, with analytical mind but to withold judgment until the end of the book.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 89 3052 9 hours ago
Last Post: brewer
  New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran Leonardo17 100 8900 August 20, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Quran and Hadiths annatar 34 20615 October 11, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Nas" is probably my favorite arabic word in the Quran Woah0 22 1299 August 22, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4439 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How I'd Reveal the Quran To Humanity ReptilianPeon 23 2938 May 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Cavalry
  2-big bang theory in the Quran mo3taz3nbar 108 48968 April 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quran vs Hadith- why the Hadith is false WinterHold 176 12437 January 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Quranic Reflection]: On reading the Quran.. WinterHold 1 869 July 24, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future. WinterHold 253 15002 December 18, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: polymath257