Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apologetics
Apologetics
Hey peoples

Just joined the forum, I've been lurking for a while and thought it was time I posted. Well, I'll keep it brief. Is it just me or does it seem like everything can be argued or rationalized when it comes to apologetics? (this goes for any religion) It just seems like a waste of time because anything can be argued for when it comes to non-falsifiable claims. Opinions and thoughts highly appreciated. Big Grin

Much love,

Psychonaut
RE: Apologetics
Welcome, Psycho, and thank you for your love!! <3

And yes, apologetics comes in whatever flavor supports a person's own view.
I don't blame the apologists for trying. They've been dealt a bad hand and try to make sense of it as best they can. Frequently, the results are very amusing for us.
Hello fellow naut.

As both the above say, apologetics pretty much mould to the views of the person, with sometimes bizzare results.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Welcome!

Are you the same Psychonaut from the former Faithless.org forum?

And a video on this subject of apologetics and why they fail from the get-go:

Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Thanks for the welcome guys!
Bizarre indeed! One person argues for this, the other person argues for that. No one actually knows what they're talking about, and it seems to me that they all just want converts to verify their own personal views. Hence the enormous amount of schism and religious denominations in general. The problem is I tend to get too involved in the arguments. I personally have no static beliefs. I think there might be something, But It seems unlikely to be the abrahamic god. The descriptions of it are always so violent, and contradictory.
Well when you're arguing for the existence of a magic sky daddy, and arguing the truth of a book full of stories of magical happenings, it's hard to justify them without using magic as an explanation.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(September 30, 2013 at 11:51 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: Welcome!

Are you the same Psychonaut from the former Faithless.org forum?

And a video on this subject of apologetics and why they fail from the get-go:

Different guy, but thanks for the video! I checked it out. I think he's got an impressive point.

Cheers,

Psychonaut
(September 30, 2013 at 11:38 am)Psychonaut Wrote: Hey peoples

Just joined the forum, I've been lurking for a while and thought it was time I posted. Well, I'll keep it brief. Is it just me or does it seem like everything can be argued or rationalized when it comes to apologetics? (this goes for any religion) It just seems like a waste of time because anything can be argued for when it comes to non-falsifiable claims. Opinions and thoughts highly appreciated. Big Grin

Much love,

Psychonaut

Welcome Psychonaut to the forums.

Well there is a saying that apologetics is never having to say you are sorry. :p
undefined
As I think doubting Thomas has in his SIG. Apologetics is the art of rolling a turd in sugar and selling it as a donut
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credible/Honest Apologetics? TheJefe817 212 20687 August 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18294 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Ignorant apologetics aside, your god does not exist. Foxaèr 10 2508 April 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Priestly apologetics in a sermon this a.m. drfuzzy 13 3164 April 1, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Thoughts on Atheism and Apologetics Randy Carson 105 18396 July 4, 2015 at 5:39 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Non-fundamentalist apologetics is about obfuscation RobbyPants 6 2158 May 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  GOOD Apologetics? ThePinsir 31 6508 January 28, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Apologetics blog domain name John V 54 19006 August 13, 2013 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
Tongue Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times Tea Earl Grey Hot 19 8639 September 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Apologetics...I'm a BIG Fan LunchBox 30 5762 January 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist