Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times
Tongue 
Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOTnBz-PCk
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times
There was some straw-man but I get the gist of the message and I agree.

I think God and his glory is to be known through vision of the soul and will power is involved in that.

And I think relying on an argument would take that spiritual element away from knowing God.
(September 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: There was some straw-man but I get the gist of the message and I agree.

I think God and his glory is to be known through vision of the soul and will power is involved in that.

And I think relying on an argument would take that spiritual element away from knowing God.

Hi,

I'm just curious. What would your definition of God be?
(September 13, 2012 at 6:24 pm)greneknight Wrote: I'm just curious. What would your definition of God be?

A true god would, first of all, not lower itself to the petty ramblings of human nature and second of all, it would be logically incoherent with existence. Therefore, god is a figment of a theist's imagination.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(September 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: There was some straw-man but I get the gist of the message and I agree.

Define the following terms:

God
Soul
Vision of the soul
Spiritual element

Make sure your definitions are coherent, in that they are; complete, not self contradictory, do not contradict reality, are based on something besides your feelings that they must be true.

Why would a god insist that his/her/its existence could not be supported by reasoned argument? Why the need for 'spiritual vision'?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(September 13, 2012 at 6:44 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(September 13, 2012 at 6:24 pm)greneknight Wrote: I'm just curious. What would your definition of God be?

A true god would, first of all, not lower itself to the petty ramblings of human nature and second of all, it would be logically incoherent with existence. Therefore, god is a figment of a theist's imagination.

A God doesn't seem to fit in logically with things. And if it's the God of the Bible, it's worse because of his gross immorality especially in the Old Testament. Even if he's a caring and loving God who isn't what the Bible cruelly portrays him to be, such a God can't be loving if we just look at the real world. So, for me, the best fit for God is as a metaphor for goodness. He doesn't exist as a being. He's the personification of goodness and a lot of art, sculpture, poetry and music have been created to express this metaphor of goodness.
is their a non 6 min video, but a written version of this discussion?
(September 13, 2012 at 9:55 pm)Drich Wrote: is their a non 6 min video, but a written version of this discussion?

This has the same basic argument http://jcnot4me.com/page71.html
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
So because men of God in the current age do not perform signs and wonders, there is not proof of God? Is this the arguement?

If so, then maybe there was some event or some marker that divided that age from this one.. And maybe, God changed something that would allow direct access to Him on a personal level for each and every specific indivisual, rather than empowering one person every few generations to proove He is still kicking...
That is a damn hilarious movie.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Current Evolution of Ancient Religious Institutions Leonardo17 67 4129 November 22, 2023 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Credible/Honest Apologetics? TheJefe817 212 20755 August 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  How much influence does he have? zwanzig 32 3042 September 13, 2021 at 11:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1953 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1411 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Secret hiding place for ancient christians Foxaèr 20 2364 May 11, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2788 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  End of Times and career mcolafson 67 13897 October 8, 2016 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18305 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why Does God Need So Much Praise? Rhondazvous 57 8477 April 24, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy