Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Took Jesus So Long?
What Took Jesus So Long?
I recently read an analysis of the New Testament that pointed out something I'd never really thought of before.

According to the Gospels, Jesus started spreading his word when he was 30, then walked around performing miracles for just a little while before he died.

My question is: Why did he wait until he was 30? Life expectancy back then was about 40. If he was God reborn in human form, wouldn't he have been prepared to spread the word at like 18 or 20? I know there's that one note about him as a child at the temple, but after that, what took him so long to get going again? Did it take the baptism by John to encourage him?

Maybe he needed some age to be respected, I don't know. It just seems weird that an omniscient being would wait so long.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
RE: What Took Jesus So Long?
Well, I didn't start making art until I was in my 30s, because I always thought I'd be really bad at it and had no confidence. And then it turned out I actually like my own art and I was just being silly. Maybe Jesus always WANTED to do miracles, but he was afraid they'd be bad miracles, or that they'd backfire (oops- water into NAPALM!). Maybe he just needed the confidence that comes with maturity. Maybe you could stop being so judgmental, since he eventually did overcome whatever hurdles life threw at him and found his niche. I mean, are you going to tell me you could do all the things you can do now when you were a teenager? Harsh, Bill. Really harsh.
Silly. His time had not yet come, don't ya know?
Prophecy and all that jazz. Gotta re-make the
story to fit the timeline or else there is no god.
Shhhhh... Don't tell.
Maybe he was in the slow-learner class?
(October 7, 2013 at 3:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Maybe he was in the slow-learner class?
Not that we would judge that. It's perfectly OK to need a little extra time.
He hopped a red eye to Calcutta and studied yoga. Duh.

Nah...since he was made up, the authors gave him street cred by giving him the benefit of age. (Age=wisdom).
There is a gap of about 18 years before he began his ministry but he only became "fully charged" after his baptism by St John the Baptist when he had the vision of the Holy Spirit descending upon him in the river Jordan. At that point he knew what his mission was. My guess is spent some time travelling around or was part of some kind of monastic community as people asked if he was "Josephs son" as though they hadn't seen him in some years. There accounts that he spent time in his youth in Cornwall or India but I'd take that with a pinch of salt.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(October 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: There is a gap of about 18 years before he began his ministry but he only became "fully charged" after his baptism by St John the Baptist when he had the vision of the Holy Spirit descending upon him in the river Jordan.
So I guess the entire virgin birth thing
was nothing special? Oh yeah, and the
part about Jesus™ being fully god
from birth must also not be a big deal?
You christians don't even believe your
own crap and yet you come on here
and speak lies and fantasy as if they
are truth. @SoC, do you have a bank
account? If so then why, may I ask, are
you storing up for yourself treasures on
earth? Until christians fulfill their own
BS religious faith requirements they have
no right to ask me to have faith. Now please,
I've suffered you long enough. Kindly crawl
under a rock (Jesus™ maybe) and DIE!
(October 7, 2013 at 3:51 pm)Zazzy Wrote: Well, I didn't start making art until I was in my 30s, because I always thought I'd be really bad at it and had no confidence. And then it turned out I actually like my own art and I was just being silly. Maybe Jesus always WANTED to do miracles, but he was afraid they'd be bad miracles, or that they'd backfire (oops- water into NAPALM!). Maybe he just needed the confidence that comes with maturity. Maybe you could stop being so judgmental, since he eventually did overcome whatever hurdles life threw at him and found his niche. I mean, are you going to tell me you could do all the things you can do now when you were a teenager? Harsh, Bill. Really harsh.

You're being sarcastic, right? I didn't think that was a bad question. No blasphemy intended. Just curious about a strange "fact."
Undecided
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
(October 7, 2013 at 3:59 pm)Zazzy Wrote:
(October 7, 2013 at 3:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Maybe he was in the slow-learner class?
Not that we would judge that. It's perfectly OK to need a little extra time.

Um....not for a "god," Zaz.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long did Jesus spend in Hell? Gawdzilla Sama 43 7022 February 5, 2018 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
Exclamation Christianity is Dead, Long live the rEvolution! Bow Before Zeus 77 14687 December 26, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How long will Christians wait for Jesus? Fake Messiah 150 32311 February 24, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How long was the rape scandal going on? Nihilist Virus 11 2767 June 13, 2016 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Joshua long day? truth search 14 3498 December 22, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? Rhondazvous 237 35887 September 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7244 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  The unforgivable sin (long) Ziploc Surprise 53 13721 November 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7387 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bullying is okay...as long as God says so. thesummerqueen 11 6440 November 9, 2010 at 11:03 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen