Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New(ish) guy saying hi
New(ish) guy saying hi
Hi all

Long time lurker here, just emerging from the safe haven of anonymity to say hi. I'm hoping to contribute regularly to forums from now on, and hopefully get some good discussions going!

I've ruminated over the existence or otherwise of god or gods for most of my life, but have been a pretty solid if reserved atheist for most of the past decade. However, some recent events have led me to be far more vocal in my critique of all things religious.

Not here to insult anyone - after all, without theists, we have little to debate - but I look forward to some hard hitting and direct online debates!

So, once again - hi to all, and thanks to those who run the site. Much appreciated!
RE: New(ish) guy saying hi
Hi, there.

And don't worry about the theists. They like it. They think it makes them martyrs.
Welcome. It's good to see you have given up your lurkish ways.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(October 9, 2013 at 6:33 pm)What_the?! Wrote: without theists, we have little to debate

I'd debate that with you.

"Voyeur Mode Disengage"

Welcome
"Not here to insult anyone."

You'll change your mind shortly Wink

Welcome aboard. I like your swing at some of our resident believers right away; you should fit in well here.

Welcome
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD
Hi and hello! Welcome to AF! ^_^

Lurking is unhealthy, posting is the only known cure Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Tongue 
Funny...you don't LOOK Newish. Wink

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
what the!?

welcome!
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Helloooo!! I SEE YOU!
Thanks guys!

Yeah I registered some time back, but then moved house and in the ensuing chaos it fell by the way side before I ever got started. Still, hopefully will go better this time :-)

No more lurking for me!

Thanks again for the welcome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New guy here Roykok 8 1124 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New[ish] to the forum OakTree500 15 1124 February 19, 2020 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Smedders
  I'm not saying I'm Jesus... earmuffs 17 1018 October 31, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  New guy DarkerEnergy 21 2211 January 18, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  New Atheist to Forum Saying Hi.... TonyPhotographer 11 1604 November 12, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Hello, new guy here Casca 13 2137 October 14, 2016 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A new guy SuperSlayer 17 1960 July 2, 2016 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Spirian
  New Guy Here. Hello. The Atheist 27 3186 March 30, 2016 at 4:50 pm
  New Guy on the Block Rebel 9 1742 October 16, 2015 at 10:01 pm
  New guy Muad·Dib 39 6846 July 19, 2015 at 6:19 am
Last Post: pocaracas