Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hi
hi
hi, I am a atheist or agnostic, idk, I really don't care and don't think it matters. But I was wondering what is the most liberal denominations of christianity. I was just thinking maybe it would be cool just to join a liberal church. Liberal as in open minded etc. I don't know maybe i just wanna explore other religions.
RE: hi
Agnosticism is atheism. I find that most who consider themselves to be agnostic, are merely apologists & find the term "agnosticism" to be more accepted amongst the herd. I heard Dawkins discuss this in a debate on YouTube & I must say, I vehemently agree with him. Though, socially/politically he & I are worlds apart.

I, too, am new. From the looks of things, it seems to be a board with many possibilities & a lot of active users. Welcome!
“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Unitarian-Universalist and Episcopalian seem to be considered the most, er... 'accommodating' Christian churches in the US. My twin sister and her husband belong to a local Episcopal church, I think. They seem to have an "everyone is welcome, whatever you believe" type of attitude.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(October 12, 2013 at 10:05 am)kaiwanga Wrote: hi, I am a atheist or agnostic, idk, I really don't care and don't think it matters. But I was wondering what is the most liberal denominations of christianity. I was just thinking maybe it would be cool just to join a liberal church. Liberal as in open minded etc. I don't know maybe i just wanna explore other religions.

Also i think i really just wanna be around liberal thinkers.
(October 12, 2013 at 10:09 am)PaulHades Wrote: Agnosticism is atheism.

No. Atheism is the rejection of theistic claims. Agnosticism is lacking knowledge on a particular matter. For example; I'm agnostic when it comes to brain surgery (meaning I lack knowledge concerning brain surgery). Conversely, I am gnostic with respect to psychology (meaning I possess much knowledge on the subject). Theists make a claim that a god exists. Atheists simply reject that claim. I am an agnostic atheist; meaning, that I lack knowledge concerning the actual existence of a god (as do theists though they'll claim personal knowledge which cannot be verify), and that I reject the claim that a god exists (since no evidence for said god exists, nor can it be produced).

Welcome to the newcomers.
Welcome and enjoy the forum!
(October 12, 2013 at 10:29 am)freedomfromfallacy Wrote:
(October 12, 2013 at 10:09 am)PaulHades Wrote: Agnosticism is atheism.

No. Atheism is the rejection of theistic claims. Agnosticism is lacking knowledge on a particular matter. For example; I'm agnostic when it comes to brain surgery (meaning I lack knowledge concerning brain surgery). Conversely, I am gnostic with respect to psychology (meaning I possess much knowledge on the subject). Theists make a claim that a god exists. Atheists simply reject that claim. I am an agnostic atheist; meaning, that I lack knowledge concerning the actual existence of a god (as do theists though they'll claim personal knowledge which cannot be verify), and that I reject the claim that a god exists (since no evidence for said god exists, nor can it be produced).

Welcome to the newcomers.

The definition of agnosticism is: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena.

To me, atheism says the same thing; not negating the possibilities of course, but realizing one cannot disprove or prove god exists. Simply stating that there is no empirical evidence to support the notion of a god; thus concluding there is no god. The two seemingly go hand-in-hand to me.

I would, however, go a step further & refer to myself as an anti-theist. Even if it were true (i.e. god(s) existing); I would still abhor the idea & refuse to bow in acquiescence & live as an abject slave.

Thank you for the welcome, too!
“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
(October 12, 2013 at 10:09 am)PaulHades Wrote: Agnosticism is atheism. I find that most who consider themselves to be agnostic, are merely apologists & find the term "agnosticism" to be more accepted amongst the herd.

Agnosticism and atheism don't go hand-in-hand. See this chart:

[Image: tumblr_me673iTjm41qiv28q.png]
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Welcome Big Grin

I am Agnostic Atheist, but don't go into details with people, since mostly they say it's a contradiction. They don't have a clue, the poor things.

I am agnostic because I claim that I can't know for certain if there is a god out there.

I am atheist because I don't believe in the gods' existence.

Why would it be cool to go to church? Why try "other" religions (atheism is not a religion, by the way)? Research the religions before you go, I say. You will have to realize how stupid it is. Or... go to church, whatever. Have fun with it! Just one piece of advice. Don't let yourself go by your emotions. When a large group of people gather and seem to be in "one spirit" (one emotion), it is difficult not to fall into the trap of thinking that "there's something there". It's not a spirit. It's called emotions. Your brain will play tricks on you if you let it. Be careful.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(October 12, 2013 at 11:33 am)Ivy Wrote: Welcome Big Grin

I am Agnostic Atheist, but don't go into details with people, since mostly they say it's a contradiction. They don't have a clue, the poor things.

I am agnostic because I claim that I can't know for certain if there is a god out there.

I am atheist because I don't believe in the gods' existence.

Why would it be cool to go to church? Why try "other" religions (atheism is not a religion, by the way)? Research the religions before you go, I say. You will have to realize how stupid it is. Or... go to church, whatever. Have fun with it! Just one piece of advice. Don't let yourself go by your emotions. When a large group of people gather and seem to be in "one spirit" (one emotion), it is difficult not to fall into the trap of thinking that "there's something there". It's not a spirit. It's called emotions. Your brain will play tricks on you if you let it. Be careful.

I was just thinking it would be cool to be around like minded people, aka liberals and all that is wrong with religion is the conservative cold attitudes. Besides I would want to meet people make friends and maybe start a business or start a business where i manage peoples money in the stock market. Besides its good to join "the herd" for protection.