Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakthrough in Alzheimer's research: preventing neurodegeneration
Breakthrough in Alzheimer's research: preventing neurodegeneration
This came up in my feed, thought I'd share as neurodegenerative disease affects a lot of us and our families, personally Alzheimer's runs in my family. It's not just alzheimer's, it's sounding like this would have an effect on other neurodegenerative diseases as well, so I guess dementia, huntington's, etc. etc. So far the side effect is damage to pancreas which results in diabetes. But it's very early stages, this isn't even the compound they'll use for a drug when they do drug development, so it's still great news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24462699

Quote:The study, published in Science Translational Medicine, showed mice with prion disease developed severe memory and movement problems. They died within 12 weeks.

However, those given the compound showed no sign of brain tissue wasting away.

Lead researcher Prof Giovanna Mallucci told the BBC news website: "They were absolutely fine, it was extraordinary.

"What's really exciting is a compound has completely prevented neurodegeneration and that's a first.

"This isn't the compound you would use in people, but it means we can do it and it's a start."

She said the compound offered a "new pathway that may well give protective drugs" and the next step was for drug companies to develop a medicine for use in humans.
RE: Breakthrough in Alzheimer's research: preventing neurodegeneration
Thanks for posting this- I fear Alzheimer's more than just about anything.

I'll look at the primary paper and see if this really does have applications for non-prion diseases like Alzheimer's or Huntington's, which cause neurodegeneration in a different way than prion diseases do.

It would be grand to see something really encouraging in this field after so much failure.
(October 13, 2013 at 10:20 pm)Zazzy Wrote: Thanks for posting this- I fear Alzheimer's more than just about anything.
My mum feels the exact same way. She's seen a few in our family succumb to it.
Quote:I'll look at the primary paper and see if this really does have applications for non-prion diseases like Alzheimer's or Huntington's, which cause neurodegeneration in a different way than prion diseases do.

It would be grand to see something really encouraging in this field after so much failure.

I think the article says there are a few research labs testing it on other neurodegenerative diseases but papers have yet to be published. I'm just glad they found something that works, refining it is easier than discovering it I think. [/quote]
(October 13, 2013 at 10:07 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: This came up in my feed, thought I'd share as neurodegenerative disease affects a lot of us and our families, personally Alzheimer's runs in my family. It's not just alzheimer's, it's sounding like this would have an effect on other neurodegenerative diseases as well, so I guess dementia, huntington's, etc. etc. So far the side effect is damage to pancreas which results in diabetes. But it's very early stages, this isn't even the compound they'll use for a drug when they do drug development, so it's still great news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24462699

Quote:The study, published in Science Translational Medicine, showed mice with prion disease developed severe memory and movement problems. They died within 12 weeks.

However, those given the compound showed no sign of brain tissue wasting away.

Lead researcher Prof Giovanna Mallucci told the BBC news website: "They were absolutely fine, it was extraordinary.

"What's really exciting is a compound has completely prevented neurodegeneration and that's a first.

"This isn't the compound you would use in people, but it means we can do it and it's a start."

She said the compound offered a "new pathway that may well give protective drugs" and the next step was for drug companies to develop a medicine for use in humans.
Wow.

Schizophrenia is also degenerative. This could basically eliminate "crazy" from our society.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cancer research pocaracas 14 3762 January 3, 2020 at 6:25 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Stem Cell research Fake Messiah 4 1030 December 29, 2016 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Canada supporting German basic research Alex K 9 1631 August 23, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Breakthrough in T1 Diabetes Treatment Fidel_Castronaut 9 1269 October 16, 2014 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Aractus
  How does culture shape Identity? - MSc research jovi-balani 5 1565 September 9, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  100 Most Important Questions Facing Plant Science Research thesummerqueen 10 7333 September 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Greatest Medical Breakthrough Ever Minimalist 14 4018 July 8, 2011 at 5:12 am
Last Post: Faith No More