Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100 Most Important Questions Facing Plant Science Research
100 Most Important Questions Facing Plant Science Research
http://www.bgci.org/resources/news/0885/
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: 100 Most Important Questions Facing Plant Science Research
I’d say this one, “How do we ensure that sound science informs policy decisions?” is the burning question of our time here in the US.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(September 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: I’d say this one, “How do we ensure that sound science informs policy decisions?” is the burning question of our time here in the US.

Keep the fucking jesus freaks out of the decision-making process.
(September 9, 2011 at 7:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(September 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: I’d say this one, “How do we ensure that sound science informs policy decisions?” is the burning question of our time here in the US.

Keep the fucking jesus freaks out of the decision-making process.
That would certainly be a big step in the right direction.

So Summer, How were your tomatoes this year? Mine pretty much cooked on the vine.
(September 9, 2011 at 7:32 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: So Summer, How were your tomatoes this year? Mine pretty much cooked on the vine.

Honestly, Poppy, between work and school I had no time to garden. I get to spend as much time as I do on here because I'm in front of a computer pretty much all day doing one of those two things. Pretty shitty. Next year should be better. I'll be going out next month to drop bulbs and various seeds.
(September 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote:
(September 9, 2011 at 7:32 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: So Summer, How were your tomatoes this year? Mine pretty much cooked on the vine.

Honestly, Poppy, between work and school I had no time to garden. I get to spend as much time as I do on here because I'm in front of a computer pretty much all day doing one of those two things. Pretty shitty. Next year should be better. I'll be going out next month to drop bulbs and various seeds.

No time to garden? Isn’t that some kind of mortal sin?

BTW it’s Pappy. Holland Popeye, aka Pops, Big Guy and Handsome Boy, is the greyhound in my avatar. I am Popeye's Pappy.

[Image: 96194.gif]

Apologies, Sir Pappy.

Absolutely it is, and in April I had flats of things I had started, but by the time 'summer' term rolled around in May I was swamped over and everything died from neglect and the god awful heat wave we had. Fortunately, most of my perennials didn't need much care and I still have several of my herbs. The only "sun" I was was 10 minutes on a tanning bed after working out a couple times a week, which was the only time I wasn't sitting on my ass. It's a horrible way to live.

This term, though, I'm in a Plant ID class where we get to actually go outside in the evenings and collect samples and talk about all sorts of nerdy plant shit and not stay locked up. We've used a computer once. The rest of the time we're touching and smelling and discussing and moving about the room and the campus grounds. It's fantastic.

It's like a natural high. I came home last night with my hands smelling like sweet gum and pine resin and rosemary/sage/lavender/basil from the Hort building's garden and I was ecstatic. I wanted to dance. I've been miserable this year. But fall brings with it the hope of rest this winter, and a very nice frenchman is sending me things that could be started in my room in terrariums, so like every gardener I am hopeful of another spring.
btw, gorgeous dogs they are - they have a rescue station at the Renaissance Faire here and I always want to get one. Our house is too small for another dog though.
Cooked on the vine you say? I have tomatoes coming out of my ears..but I learned to grow them in manatee county fl...so you would expect that. Excellent article, I'd give this thread a million kudos if I could.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
These are my favorites though:

[Image: 0713.jpg]
(September 9, 2011 at 8:50 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Cooked on the vine you say? I have tomatoes coming out of my ears..but I learned to grow them in manatee county fl...so you would expect that. Excellent article, I'd give this thread a million kudos if I could.

I mostly grow heirloom varieties. They aren’t nearly as resilient as some of the hybrids available these days. It was a warm and dry spring around here. Then I went to Yellowstone for a couple of weeks in early June and it got cooler and rain practically every day while I was gone. That plus the sprinkler running 3 times a week almost drowned them. In early July we had a couple of pretty big thunderstorms and the wind beat the shit out of everything. I don’t think we had a cloud much less any rain for the next 6 weeks. The tomatoes didn’t deal with all the changes very well. My bell peppers and jalapenos did surprisingly well though.

(September 9, 2011 at 8:58 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: These are my favorites though:

[Image: 0713.jpg]

What a handsome houndy. All the sight hounds breeds are generally good pets.

One of the NC greyhound rescue groups has a big get together in Gatlinburg every year around end of May or early June. It’s called Mountain Hounds. Check it out some year if you get the chance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 Science Trivia Questions to Get You Thinking Rhondazvous 7 766 May 10, 2020 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Cancer research pocaracas 14 3700 January 3, 2020 at 6:25 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  100% fruit juice liked to increased death death brewer 28 2586 May 22, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Stem Cell research Fake Messiah 4 975 December 29, 2016 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Canada supporting German basic research Alex K 9 1591 August 23, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Minimalist
Rainbow What science says about plant-based diets (Vegan) NeotericNinja 68 8178 May 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  How does culture shape Identity? - MSc research jovi-balani 5 1543 September 9, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  100 extinctions per million species per year popeyespappy 1 1490 September 4, 2014 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Scientists: 100 million worlds may have complex alien life in our galaxy pocaracas 14 5206 June 14, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Breakthrough in Alzheimer's research: preventing neurodegeneration pineapplebunnybounce 3 1596 October 17, 2013 at 6:40 am
Last Post: bennyboy