Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Fossil discoveries
Interesting Fossil discoveries
I've done a running thread on paleontological discoveries before, might as well start anew with...

Mapping out the nervous system of an ancestral "great appendage" Chelicerate.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...132246.htm

If that doesn't get your ganglia going, I don't know what will. The significance of this study (besides using new techniques for imaging) is a better understanding of the relationships among the arthropods. Arthropods are very diverse (the insects alone are the bulk of modern diversity in animals, hell just the beetles are a staggeringly large proportion of that) and go all the way back to the Cambrian explosion. Better understanding the relationships and evolutionary trajectory of this group could mean a better understanding of the Cambrian Radiation and subsequent diversifications.

And it's just awesome to boot Thumb up
[Image: giphy.gif]
RE: Interesting Fossil discoveries
It is awesome, but sadly this will be ignored by creationists or blown off with "Those scientists just invented dinosaurs based on a piece of bone" comments.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
The bearded dude:

I'm sorry. I didn't read your post. I was distracted by your AWESOME signature. This is the way it should be.

Beards rule!
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Wow this is very interesting! I wonder how long until we can explain the cambrian explosion.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
Most of the creatards will avoid topics like this like the plague. Eventually Waldork will show up to say something stupid.
(October 18, 2013 at 4:26 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: I've done a running thread on paleontological discoveries before, might as well start anew with...

If that doesn't get your ganglia going, I don't know what will. The significance of this study (besides using new techniques for imaging) is a better understanding of the relationships among the arthropods. Arthropods are very diverse (the insects alone are the bulk of modern diversity in animals, hell just the beetles are a staggeringly large proportion of that) and go all the way back to the Cambrian explosion. Better understanding the relationships and evolutionary trajectory of this group could mean a better understanding of the Cambrian Radiation and subsequent diversifications.

Mmmmm... talk dirty to me, beardy Naughty
Very interesting. One of the long standing mysteries about arthropods is how the 5 different major groupings of arthropods (all cheliceates related above belongs to one major grouping) are related to each other. Each anrthropod group appears on the surface to share enough similarities with all the other groups to suggest they must be fairly closely related, yet closer examination suggest the subtler differences between the groups is in fact fundamental. This dilemma has vexed evolutionary biologists so much that some of them have come to regard arthropods as a false grouping - that despite the long list of superficial similarities, the 5 groups were not related, and did not arise out of a common ancester that was itself also an arthropods. All the appearent similarities between insects, trilobites, centipedes, crabs, and spiders were the result of convergent evolution.

Currently the pendulum have swung back mid way, and bulk of evolutionary biology community seem to have moved back to the camp that argue arthropods are in fact closely related, but the last common ancester of all living arthropods might have been quite arthropody, but may not have been fully arthropod.
(October 18, 2013 at 6:21 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(October 18, 2013 at 4:26 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: I've done a running thread on paleontological discoveries before, might as well start anew with...

Mmmmm... talk dirty to me, beardy Naughty

So beer and beards... What else do you like that I like that you like?
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(October 18, 2013 at 8:33 pm)Ivy Wrote:
(October 18, 2013 at 6:21 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Mmmmm... talk dirty to me, beardy Naughty

So beer and beards... What else do you like that I like that you like?

Dude, Ivy... we're like soul mates Big Grin
Beer, Beards, and fossils. These are the things that sustain me.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Interesting thing About Light Rhondazvous 14 2395 October 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Interesting debate over there ..... Joods 84 7550 March 1, 2016 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Interesting take on black holes. Annik 15 7508 June 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
  Interesting Wind Power Concept orogenicman 6 2599 October 24, 2010 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris