Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Interesting thing About Light
An Interesting thing About Light
I was just thinking (shut up, Iggy) about light and my thoughts led me to a curious conclusion. Not being a scientist, I may be totally wrong, but then again, I may be half right. What do you think?

I mentioned some time ago that when we turn a light switch off the photons that have already spread throughout the room disappear. So radiation of visible light is not separate from its source.It just occurred to me that this means that while the light from a star a million light years away will take a million years to reach us, when that star dies, it won't take a million years for the radiation that has reached us to disappear.

Have any scientists written about this behavior of light? I'd like to know what they have to say.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: An Interesting thing About Light
An interesting thing about light; it's better than heavy.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The photons don't disappear, they are scattered or absorbed by solid objects.

If our sun were to wink out right now, we wouldn't know it visually for about 8 minutes. Alpha Centauri, 4.4 years
Correct Rhonda.
Quite a good portion of the night sky has long died.
We are basically seeing a snapshot of how things were millions/billions of years ago due to the speed of light limit...

So much for 'wish upon a star'!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(October 26, 2017 at 7:16 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Correct Rhonda.
Quite a good portion of the night sky has long died.
We are basically seeing a snapshot of how things were millions/billions of years ago due to the speed of light limit...

So much for 'wish upon a star'!

The beauty of it is, we can still wish on any star that's still visible because if it were dead the radiation would be gone like a light bulb. Look at it this way, light travels at a limited speed, but we're not talking about light traveling. We're talking about photons being cut off from their source. They don't travel back to the source, so they don't take the same amount of time to disappear as they took to get here.. They're just no longer visible.

This does not preclude the idea that the photons are dispersed or absorbed.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Bad news everybody!
Our beloved sun, exploded in a fiery death 3 minutes ago.

Pease, nobody panic for the next 5 minutes....Just go on about your business.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(October 27, 2017 at 6:11 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Bad news everybody!

I suppose if it really did happen I'd whip it out and try to time the orgasm juuuuust right.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(October 27, 2017 at 6:24 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(October 27, 2017 at 6:11 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Bad news everybody!

I suppose if it really did happen I'd whip it out and try to time the orgasm juuuuust right.

That would be one HOT handful. Jerkoff   Tongue
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I don't think that's how light works. Once a photon leaves its star they are separate and the photon will carry on regardless of the fate of what ever source it was created by. That's why, as Cthulhu Dreaming mentioned, it takes time until the last photon from a dying star reaches us and it disappears from our sky. So they aren't connected, the photon and the star, the light of a star is just a continuous stream of photons.
And when the star dies its last photons are sent out and it's sort of like unplugging your vacuum cleaner and rolling up the chord, it takes time before the end of the chord reaches the vacuum cleaner. Basically the earth is a vacuum cleaner and stars are just millions of chords that may or may not be rolling up right now and we won't know it until the final photon reaches us.
"History is something that very few people have been doing while everyone else was ploughing fields and carrying water buckets." -Yuval Noah Harari
as the universe expands, the 'free range' photons will have their wavelength increase and increase and increase

and as the wavelength increases, the energy of the photons decreases

the process 'never' stops

trillions and trillions of googolplexes years and those wavelengths are billions of billions of light years long, the photon energies are vanishingly minute

and the universe continues to expand

relentlessly diluting itself in the void that becomes closer and closer to infinite every billion billion years
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3119 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2617 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1832 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 54745 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  So this is a thing dyresand 3 953 June 4, 2017 at 2:37 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light? Rhondazvous 48 5871 December 14, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Physics questions about light bennyboy 10 2526 September 20, 2016 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The speed of light and discovering RozKek 45 8004 August 11, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Where does the Light Go when you Turn the Switch Off? Rhondazvous 9 1964 August 5, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Can you catch light in a pot? ErGingerbreadMandude 53 8168 June 3, 2016 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus