Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Should We React When a ‘Militant Atheist’ Beats Up a Pastor?
How Should We React When a ‘Militant Atheist’ Beats Up a Pastor?
Quote:Over the weekend, a man named James Maxie went to church with his girlfriend… and ended up severely beating the pastor, Rev. Norman Hayes, after Hayes asked the girlfriend if she felt safe with him.http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-a-pastor/

Now this Guy just a pure Dick and nobody should be beaten up for their beliefs. I do not condone this act of violence. And my heart does out to the pastor.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: How Should We React When a ‘Militant Atheist’ Beats Up a Pastor?
Who is 'we'?

Bullshit is bullshit. Physical violence is deplorable in almost every case it's used, so that's my answer.
(October 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Physical violence is deplorable in almost every case it's used, so that's my answer.

This.

Unless the pastor assaulted him and he was responding in self-defense (which doesn't seem very likely) - the person in question is a violent asshat.
While I don't condone violent behavior of any sort, the pastor isn't exactly blame free in this, either. Explicitly asking the girlfriend if he abuses her in front of both of them is a dick move and was most likely done to elicit an emotional response.

The atheist should never have resorted to physical violence, but my heart doesn't exactly bleed for the pastor.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(October 24, 2013 at 1:48 pm)Faith No More Wrote: While I don't condone violent behavior of any sort, the pastor isn't exactly blame free in this, either. Explicitly asking the girlfriend if he abuses her in front of both of them is a dick move and was most likely done to elicit an emotional response.
Or the guy presented as unstable and violent, prompting the pastor to be concerned for the woman's safety, at which point the asshat proved he was unstable and violent.

No way to know- but it has never been my experience that pastors randomly accuse people of domestic violence.
I'm guessing the answer to the pastor's question is "no."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I don't feel the need to react when an atheist commits a crime for the same reason I don't react when a dark-haired person commits a crime: the fact that we have a trait in common doesn't mean his actions reflect upon me and my group, and there's no need for a press conference about it.

Let the guy be punished according to the law, as he should be, and move on.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
This is one of many reasons I avoid church. Not that I would ever react violently as James Maxie did,
I would not, but church folk cannot seem to resist being dicks and saying shit they should know better than to say.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-21299-po...#pid520880
Are theists geared toward blasting atheists going to use this violent douche to generalize atheists in a public fashion to further their own "Atheists are the Devil's minions" propaganda? Probably.

Are some atheists going to try and blame the preacher in response or in a preemptive strike towards the the above question? Probably.

Is this really a case of atheist vs. theist? Undecided. Not enough information on the specifics, so this really seems like basic human on human violence to me.

The priest asked a question either out of genuine concern or to elicit an emotional response, and the attacker made the wrong decision either way. He'll be judged and punished appropriately for his actions, which is all that really matters in this.
(October 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote:
Quote:Over the weekend, a man named James Maxie went to church with his girlfriend… and ended up severely beating the pastor, Rev. Norman Hayes, after Hayes asked the girlfriend if she felt safe with him.http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-a-pastor/

Now this Guy just a pure Dick and nobody should be beaten up for their beliefs. I do not condone this act of violence. And my heart does out to the pastor.

We? I am an individual.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Militant Atheism? Data 274 10185 September 24, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christianity's Valuable Contributions to Humanity: An Examination of Militant Atheism Nishant Xavier 137 6855 September 8, 2023 at 4:18 am
Last Post: no one
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2698 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9050 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92585 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Pastor Stephen Anderson Manowar 5 1168 November 6, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  "All Scientists Should Be Militant Atheists" SmootherPebble 66 15535 September 20, 2015 at 10:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Quiet Atheist vs Militant Atheist z7z 62 11759 May 18, 2015 at 1:32 am
Last Post: abentwookie
Video Pastor Smack-a-bitch explaining Gods love. Mental Outlaw 4 1922 February 21, 2015 at 1:47 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  How should I go about telling my parents that I'm atheist Ghost2282 12 3316 February 15, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho