Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist?
Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist?
Okay she's not really my girlfriend we're just kind of talking right now. But I found out that she does go to church and so she is most likely a Christian. I really do like this girl and I want to make it work with her, but she does not know that I'm an atheist. As a true atheist, I stand behind my beliefs 100%. But when it comes to women, that 100% turns into about 23%.

I don't think that admitting my atheism to her will sway her intentions towards me. I'm more likely to screw that up on my own. But none the less I am trying to present an image from the core of my being that is nothing more than myself. I keep it real. So I want to tell her that I don't believe in her God (though not exactly in those words LOL). Should I just make the announcement plain bold and simple? Or should I just wait until it kind of falls into place? Opinions atheists. I trust your feedback more than I've ever trusted the Christians, even if you guys have more sarcasm behind your rhetorics.
RE: Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist?
(November 15, 2017 at 3:03 am)erealmz Wrote: Okay she's not really my girlfriend we're just kind of talking right now. But I found out that she does go to church and so she is most likely a Christian. I really do like this girl and I want to make it work with her, but she does not know that I'm an atheist. As a true atheist, I stand behind my beliefs 100%. But when it comes to women, that 100% turns into about 23%.

I don't think that admitting my atheism to her will sway her intentions towards me. I'm more likely to screw that up on my own. But none the less I am trying to present an image from the core of my being that is nothing more than myself. I keep it real. So I want to tell her that I don't believe in her God (though not exactly in those words LOL). Should I just make the announcement plain bold and simple? Or should I just wait until it kind of falls into place? Opinions atheists. I trust your feedback more than I've ever trusted the Christians, even if you guys have more sarcasm behind your rhetorics.

You need a lot of diplomacy my friend by using the famous Trojan horse to get her favors so you may get two birds with one stone so to speak.  Smile

In any case wouldn't be better to get rid of that illusion called atheism so you can get her favors in a clean way?  Lightbulb
Personally I'd not make an announcement. It makes it look like something to be ashamed of or that is particularly important. But don't hide it. The relationship may not go anywhere anyway and you just want to enjoy each other for the moment. Eventually the subject will come up on its own accord, like what you did last Sunday etc.
PO, and that's when you call her an immature little baby cow!

ROFLOL

Sorry Mathilda! Your "other" thread made my day!
Hope you're OK.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Two pieces of advise.

1. If you're concerned, bring up atheism in the course of every day conversation. Not your own, just general reference. See how she responds. If it's overwhelmingly negative, then keep it to yourself until your relationship develops further (assuming it does).

2. Ignore anything said to you by Little (P)Rik. He's a pretentious moron with an ego that greatly outweighs his IQ.
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 15, 2017 at 5:27 am)Little Rik Wrote: In any case wouldn't be better to get rid of that illusion called atheism so you can get her favors in a clean way?  Lightbulb

I would get her favours and then tell her Wink
You could just pretend to be really ignorant about christianity as if you knew nothing about it and were finding out about it for the first time. When she tries to convert you, ask really awkward questions in an innocent way so that she comes to realise how it all sounds to a fresh pair of ears.

e.g.

"So this god, do you actually hear him? Or you imagine hearing him?"
"So he is everywhere all the time, even when I want some privacy like on the shitter?"
"How do you know that God is male?"

(November 15, 2017 at 6:01 am)Cod Wrote: I would get her favours and then tell her Wink

"Oh God yes! Yes! YES!"
"I'm an atheist."
"YES! Yeah ... what???"
(November 15, 2017 at 6:01 am)Cod Wrote:
(November 15, 2017 at 5:27 am)Little Rik Wrote: In any case wouldn't be better to get rid of that illusion called atheism so you can get her favors in a clean way?  Lightbulb

I would get her favours and then tell her Wink

That is the Trojan horse way but that may well leave a sense of sadness in her mind-heart.  Panic
All depend whether you care 100% about her or not.  Lightbulb

Al the best anyway.  Hi
(November 15, 2017 at 6:08 am)Mathilda Wrote: "Oh God yes! Yes! YES!"
"I'm an atheist."
"YES! Yeah ... what???"

Ahem, it would be more like..
"Oh Cod yes! yes! YES!
"I'm an atheist."
"Who cares, don't stop"
Personally, my beliefs regarding religion, politics, sports e.t.c have very little significance in my life, so I will never go out of my way to speak of them but for anyone who is close to me like my friends, I would tell them the truth if the topic does come up. I'd never want the basis of a relationship to be a lie or something hidden that can gnaw at me down the line.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2709 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Possible girlfriend?? Manowar 30 4813 July 26, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92691 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8082 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki
  How should I go about telling my parents that I'm atheist Ghost2282 12 3319 February 15, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  My girlfriend is a scientologist.... I'm not... Giorgos.vr 31 6552 December 14, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Who do you tell you are atheist? Sedna 43 7069 October 24, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  My girlfriend got discriminated by some of her family MJ the Skeptical 27 4924 June 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why tell anyone? John V 53 9462 April 13, 2014 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  How to tell parents I'm an atheist Creeper23782 63 14768 April 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s