Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairness, Communication, Context, Respect
Fairness, Communication, Context, Respect
Here on this great forum, we have many wonderful moderators who do their best to manage the flow of traffic, all while attaining to a level of integrity and mutual respect unlike any other forum of which I've ever been a member. The quoting feature here allows members to respond to posts while maintaining context within a given thread, and it allows for including a link to the quoted text. For example, If I quote myself thus...

(October 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: Agreed.

A link to this quote is provided by clicking the green arrow next to my quote - so it can't be used out of context.

Conversely, if I quote myself thus...

freedomfromfallacy Wrote:Agreed.

Providing no link to my original post from where the quote originated within context, thus allowing for easy misquotes and misunderstandings.

Therefore, though I know it's not an official RULE, I would personally like to request that all members who quote any of my posts or portions thereof (and who are free to do so), PLEASE include an appropriate link to my original quotes. I cannot enforce such a request upon other members, but it causes no harm to ask, and the worst that could happen is that misunderstandings are avoided. Thank you all.

Respectfully,

fff
RE: Fairness, Communication, Context, Respect
I think that's pretty reasonable unless you're making a bunch of quotes from the same post, e.g.:

(October 29, 2013 at 5:43 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: Here on this great forum, we have many wonderful moderators who do their best to manage the flow of traffic, all while attaining to a level of integrity and mutual respect unlike any other forum of which I've ever been a member.

Witty response placed here.

Quote:Therefore, though I know it's not an official RULE, I would personally like to request that all members who quote any of my posts or portions thereof (and who are free to do so), PLEASE include an appropriate link to my original quotes.

Second witty response to the above placed here.

It's easier for me to use the {quote} and {/quote} tags since I can't remember how to make it show who I'm quoting and it's a pain in the butt to copy & paste the original quote tag.

But if you're quoting someone, especially from another thread, it's always a good idea so that if there's any doubt what the original quote said, you can always click on the link.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.