Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Requesting Info on a Couple Fallacies
Requesting Info on a Couple Fallacies
I am somewhat confused regarding 3 of the logical fallacies. The ones I am talking about are Special Pleading, Cherry Picking and Red Herring.

Maybe someone with professional experience Smile on these 3 fallacies is available to help?

To summarize, the Red Herring fallacy is about covering for faults in an argument, mainly using distractions. The Special Pleading fallacy is about ignoring faults in arguments, whereas Cherry Picking concentrates on only proper logic in an argument.

Is this all correct? And if so is this not redundant to refer to slightly different variations of same attitude towards a bad argument in much the same way?

I mean, can I not just reference 1 of the 3 and the other 2 should be implied, correct?
RE: Requesting Info on a Couple Fallacies
Some fallacies are specific cases of broader fallacies, yes. If you're really a lumper, they're all non sequiturs.
(November 11, 2013 at 3:01 pm)Walking Void Wrote: I am somewhat confused regarding 3 of the logical fallacies. The ones I am talking about are Special Pleading, Cherry Picking and Red Herring.

Maybe someone with professional experience Smile on these 3 fallacies is available to help?

To summarize, the Red Herring fallacy is about covering for faults in an argument, mainly using distractions. The Special Pleading fallacy is about ignoring faults in arguments, whereas Cherry Picking concentrates on only proper logic in an argument.

Is this all correct? And if so is this not redundant to refer to slightly different variations of same attitude towards a bad argument in much the same way?

I mean, can I not just reference 1 of the 3 and the other 2 should be implied, correct?

Special Pleading is making a supposedly universally applicable statement, then exempting something from it, as in:

"Everything has a cause! The first cause must be God!"

"What caused God?"

"God has no cause!"

"So when you said EVERYTHING has a cause you meant everything EXCEPT God."

Cherry Picking is selecting evidence which backs up your claim while ignoring evidence from the same source which challenges it. As in citing Leviticus to condemn homosexuality while ignoring the verses which condemn the eating of shellfish or shaving one's beard off ...
Mitch covered Special Pleading and Cherry Picking, so I'll cover Red Herring.

If someone is losing an argument, one tactic they often like to try is to derail the discussion by throwing out something that leads the discussion elsewhere. Like, say for instance you're losing the argument over gay marriage so you inject comments about abortion into the discussion so everyone will start talking about that and forget how weak your stance on gay marriage is. It's often used if the person thinks they have a better chance at winning a different argument.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Hmmm, I see. So as Mister Agenda puts it: non-sequitur. Thanks for the answers everyone. :thumbs-up:
(November 14, 2013 at 11:54 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Mitch covered Special Pleading and Cherry Picking, so I'll cover Red Herring.

If someone is losing an argument, one tactic they often like to try is to derail the discussion by throwing out something that leads the discussion elsewhere. Like, say for instance you're losing the argument over gay marriage so you inject comments about abortion into the discussion so everyone will start talking about that and forget how weak your stance on gay marriage is. It's often used if the person thinks they have a better chance at winning a different argument.

No, it's not that.

You only think that because you're American.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
I'm completely confused by your comments, Jacob(smooth).

No, it's not what exactly?
Or rather, No, what's not what, exactly?

What's my place of residence got to do with it? Blah. Being lumped under the grouping of a nation is rather like being lumped into an ignorant christian's belief of atheism (they burn babies, have orgies all day long or they worship satan .... whatever).
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
(November 14, 2013 at 12:51 pm)Jacob(smooth) Wrote:
(November 14, 2013 at 11:54 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Mitch covered Special Pleading and Cherry Picking, so I'll cover Red Herring.

No, it's not that.

You only think that because you're American.

But at least we don't eat crappy things like jellied eel!
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm)Owlix Wrote: I'm completely confused by your comments, Jacob(smooth).

No, it's not what exactly?
Or rather, No, what's not what, exactly?

What's my place of residence got to do with it? Blah. Being lumped under the grouping of a nation is rather like being lumped into an ignorant christian's belief of atheism (they burn babies, have orgies all day long or they worship satan .... whatever).

It was a joke...
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Both Jacob's post and my response are examples of red herrings.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Couple of clingers in my de-converting Won2blv 40 7831 May 8, 2015 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Aractus
  A couple of questions for atheists robvalue 60 10929 January 6, 2015 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Regina
  Dillahunty pwns logical fallacies. feeling 10 4035 December 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Thou Shall Not Commit Logical Fallacies Fidel_Castronaut 4 2171 November 28, 2013 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  list of logical fallacies TheBeardedDude 1 1017 November 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Thou Shalt not commit logical fallacies Gooders1002 11 4864 August 8, 2012 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Gambit
  Logical Fallacies littlegrimlin1 14 5294 May 27, 2010 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Violet
  Faith healing couple acquitted of manslaughter charges! How can this happen? binny 47 14861 July 31, 2009 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Beholden