Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry vs. The Catholics.
Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry vs. The Catholics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvZz_pxZ2lw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFTj9n40rNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-q8US0QRs4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQRkfZzyfcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i391gBoEo58
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry vs. The Catholics.
That was absolutely incredible. The arguments put by Hitchens and Fry were so devastatingly simple and beautifully vocalised that the opposition simply had no answer.

In many ways the last 30 seconds were the best and the look on Ann Widicombes face is priceless.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I really liked this. Both Fry and Hitchins are on my list of favouritest people in the world. I never even dreamed I'd see them in the same room together.
Hoi Zaeme.
The debate was okay but way too short to go in depth on the subject, making the popular vote even more meaningless to me.
I think Fry did a much better job than Hitchens.
[Image: pPQu8.png]
ahhh ha, very nice. I have just purchased a book today writen by Hitchens, very good book!!
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
Fucking hell that was absolutely totally completely entirely and utterly incredibly amazing! Hitchens was so damn powerfully cogent and Fry was so damn eloquently compelling! The opposition was fucking destroyed.

Fucking awesome.

EvF
Well done. Thank you leo for bringing that here.

I must agree the debate was to short. I would have liked to seen more point counter-point. The catholics seemed a little dodgy and evasive and I couldn't help to feel a bit sorry/embarassed for them.

I think this question and debate could apply to any religious groups out there today. Is any church a force for good in the world? How is the word "good" being defined?

We have/had a poster here who defined "good" as merely believing in the xtain god and "not-good" as unbelief. I'd define it, in this context, as any action that helps ensure the propagation of the human species and improves upon the safety, health and welfare of every member of the general public.

Food = Good
No food = Not good
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
The main problem with the good the Catholic church does and has done is they never doe it without strings attached. They will treat sick people in Africa, but at the same time they will deny proper education on AIDS prevention and distribution of condoms. Worse yet, the leader of their church spreading the lie that condoms are at fault for the increase of AIDS. That is why I support "Doctors without Borders" who not only treat people without question, but do it without any hidden agenda or converting souls for the cause.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
What an epic massacre!

Brilliant arguing all the way.

Hitchens seems to have even realized how the thing was already won by a far margin in his final speech and decided to "waste" it by flaming against religion just for the sake of it.
"A fool says in his heart, 'There is no god.'
A wise man shouts it from the rooftops."
Mark Palmer (@ The Center for Inquiry Blasphemy Contest)
Excellent debate, though a little on the short side. But I guess that was because of the TV producers who demanded that it be over in as little time as possible.

I would have loved for this to go on or be continued another time later, Fry and Hitchens make a great pair of intellectual sparring buddies.. They overpowered the Catholic representation through sheer facts and wit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stephen Colbert: Up Against The Wall, Motherfucker! Minimalist 0 330 March 11, 2017 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Stephen Colbert Explains Putin and the WLB Minimalist 0 560 March 7, 2017 at 1:49 pm
  Stephen Colbert on Prayers, Shooting and ISIS Minimalist 0 594 December 8, 2015 at 1:46 pm
  Stephen Colbert Already Shaklng Up Late Night Minimalist 4 972 October 2, 2015 at 5:33 pm
  Hitchens' last speech? hilary 0 1392 July 16, 2015 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: hilary
  Awsome new Stephen Fry series on homophobia Something completely different 17 4443 November 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
Video Video | UNCUT Christopher Hitchens & Stephen Fry debate Woody68 1 1251 April 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Stephen Fry on the Catholic Church Tobie 33 14208 June 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Stephen Fry with a Tourette's Syndrome sufferer. Tiberius 14 5713 March 30, 2012 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Rob
  Did god create the universe? Stephen Hawking Ace Otana 7 3172 March 22, 2012 at 12:35 am
Last Post: AthiestAtheist