Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flu Vaccine: Do it or not?
Flu Vaccine: Do it or not?
For any of you guys who think avoiding the flu vaccine is a good idea, welcome to the world of elementary statistics:

RE: Flu Vaccine: Do it or not?
I cannot recall, but I think I might have had to get a flu shot before I attended college. Guess what? The only time I ever had the flu, I got it that winter. I am guessing it was due to the shot.

I have not had a flu shot since, and I have not had the flu since.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm not given a choice. Haz azthma, haz shot.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Death: bad thing, or not?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Dude, I didn't even get swine flu when it was going around freshman year. I'm golden. I don't need no steenkin' flu shot.
I had to take the swine flu shot, because I was working at a hospital at the time. I did not get sick, but Scruffy did. [/anecdote]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Barring special circumstances (people too weak to have the shot, people allergic to the vaccine, etc) flu shots are a good idea.

I mean, unless you ENJOY projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I never get the flu or the shot. I get a ridiculously mild cold every late fall that leaves me hacking up my smoker's lung for months even though the cold ended in like a day, but no flu. Although community immunity is helpful for those who cannot get the shot.
Re: Flu Vaccine: Do it or not?
I'm 26 and not asthmatic or anything, so I'm not eligible for a flu vaccination on the NHS.

Buuuut, my company sent all staff members vouchers to get it done private if we want to. I decided against it because I don't really like needles at all, and I've only had flu once before (granted, I thought I was dying, I was so sick) and I uh... just don't want it.
Consult your doctor, period.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Human Case of H5N1 Bird Flu in Texas Nanny 1 161 April 1, 2024 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  HPV vaccine cutting cervical cancer by nearly 90% zebo-the-fat 6 942 November 4, 2021 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  For you medical geeks, RNA vaccine brewer 3 861 August 26, 2016 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Ebola vaccine looks promising abaris 9 2968 August 2, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  efective simian hiv vaccine created downbeatplumb 3 2655 May 13, 2011 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Frontline: The Vaccine War Eilonnwy 6 2038 April 28, 2010 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye