Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't we be allowed to define atheism
Why can't we be allowed to define atheism
What I'm wondering is why do some theist(queue derpy batman avatar) users make such a big deal out of the definition of atheism. They are allowed as a group to define whatever religion they follow, so why can't we as atheists be allowed to define the term we use to describe our position? And even if they won the whole argument then what? The position is unaltered, just under a different name (likely agnostic).
So why should we not be allowed to define the terms we use to identify ourselves, and what is the ultimate point of having said argument in the first place?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Why can't we be allowed to define atheism
I'm not sure why we couldn't. Though it can be hard to define something outside of broad strokes. Lots of people have different views about their group, including christians. What do you define atheism as, aside from just not believing in the existence of deities?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

because atheist was a word before it was used (as you want to use it, i suppose) to define a group. You can't change the meaning of a word because you don't fit into it's definition, you pick another word for your position.

Although the gay movement did manage to change the meaning of gay I suppose. But with atheism I don't think you'll be able to, realistically speaking.
Those that try to define atheists 'their way' are trying to simplify the process of condemning it. Acceptance of an alternate(read:proper) definition only confuses them and/or weakens their arguments.

Seems to me, anyway...
Religion limits ones ability to think for oneself. If we changed the name for 'religious' to
something like 'limited thinkers' then we would be able to call ourselves 'free thinkers' Thinking
Really, though, does it matter? We, not words, define ourselves, especially when describing something as inherently simple as atheism. "Oh, our definitions of atheism don't match? OK, I'm a non believer in God or Gods." Trying to pick the right version of the definition of "atheism" is an unnecessary semantic battle.
(November 29, 2013 at 7:47 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Although the gay movement did manage to change the meaning of gay I suppose. But with atheism I don't think you'll be able to, realistically speaking.

If the change in meaning is widely announced and accepted by the group directly related, sure. It makes less sense when it's a change thrust upon by an opposing group. But I suspect this exactly what religious types are attempting. Maybe they hope to see atheists 'give in' to their interpretation.

(November 29, 2013 at 8:01 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Really, though, does it matter? We, not words, define ourselves, especially when describing something as inherently simple as atheism. "Oh, our definitions of atheism don't match? OK, I'm a non believer in God or Gods." Trying to pick the right version of the definition of "atheism" is an unnecessary semantic battle.

Welcome to the wonderful world of labels. For every question they answer two more arise. They come in handy, though, as an expedient.
(November 29, 2013 at 8:01 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: They come in handy, though, as an expedient.
Plus they make it quicker and simpler.
(November 29, 2013 at 7:33 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: What I'm wondering is why do some theist(queue derpy batman avatar) users make such a big deal out of the definition of atheism. They are allowed as a group to define whatever religion they follow, so why can't we as atheists be allowed to define the term we use to describe our position? And even if they won the whole argument then what? The position is unaltered, just under a different name (likely agnostic).
So why should we not be allowed to define the terms we use to identify ourselves, and what is the ultimate point of having said argument in the first place?
Because "a-" and "theist" already mean something. You could call a bunny a rock if you wanted to, but why?
I have yet to meet an atheism I didn't like. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To explain why we can define God to affirm his existence! Mystic 119 11538 March 24, 2017 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The right to mis-define oneself bennyboy 223 24873 June 22, 2015 at 8:56 am
Last Post: bennyboy